1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connection keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by davin_g, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

you guys really helped me out once before and i am hoping there is something you can do for me now. i recently moved into this new appartment and have cable broadband connection. since then i have been extremely unhappy with my internet experiences. i keep getting kicked off my games...off yahoo..and huge problems either connecting to internet or staying on.

i am operating with windows xp2 and have panda antivirus/firewall protection. i also use a d-link dl624 router (but don't use wirelessly). this is because i often play my ps2 and otherwise it takes like an hour to get my ps2 connection to recognize. i have contacted my isp but they insist that while there is normal spikes in internet usage which may slow my connection speed that this shouldn't cause these problems. i am pretty sure it isn't the modem...i have two and used both and both have the same issue. i tried without the router but still had issues. i feel like it is a firewall but i have tried disabling the panda anti-virus and still have the issue. i realize my computer has its own generic firewall but it is turned off and using group policy to control my internet connection. i can't figure out what the problem is. the only thing i can come up with is the isp...if so this is BS because i am paying 40 bucks a month and this service is useless. i have most problems with yahoo messanger and getting disconnected. my computer even tells me i am connected and the lights on both the router and modem show that they are connected fine. also, if i boot in safe mode i usually don't have a problem connecting...but not always..but alot better than in regular windows. i can't figure this out. please help me.

by the way....i know very little about computers so you may have to go slow and give good directions on what you want me to do. thank you in advance for any help you might offer.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm having trouble understanding just what is happening here. I suggest simplifying as much as possible. First, connect a PC directly to the modem. Keep watching those LEDs and other indications, but also do the following.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run - cmd - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

To determine if you have internet access: open a Command Window and type
    ping 209.73.186.238

Do you get Replies (good), or do you get packets lost (bad)?

If you got Replies, type

ping www.yahoo.com

Do you get Replies (good), or do you get packets lost (bad)?

Do the ipconfig /all and the two pings when you have a connection, so that you know what they should look like. Then, when you have apparently lost connection, do them again. Do you still have the IP address you had before? Do you still get replies to the pings? If your answers are "yes", exactly what is happening to make you think that you are disconnected?

3. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

ok...tried that...first i did it with my router connected because things are working right now...i got 4 sent 4 received none lost...then i did it by connecting the modem directly to the computer...and i sent 4 lost 4. it says i have limited to no connection. i also believe the ip addresses changed but not 100%. i have my computer running through my router now as that is the only way i can connect for the moment.

if i confused you i am sorry...to simplify my problem...i get disconnected quite a bit from the internet...and sometimes it won't load up at all...even though my internet connection says it is fine. i tried narrowing it down to something by trying different combos of things and can't seem to find where things are going wrong. i thought it was my router as i have heard of d-link dl624 problems where they disconnect every 20-30 mins for no reason. but i still have the problem even with a straight connection. so, what is my next step.

ps..the lights were fine on the modem...even though it said i had little to no connection they all lit up.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You usually have to power cycle (unplug it; plug back in) the modem when changing the device connected to it. Anytime your computer gets an IP address of 169.254.x.y it means the PC failed to get a good IP configuration from your ISP or from your router.

5. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

alright i will do that again....i assume i have to let it sit for about 5 mins.

6. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

ok...did that...the internet now works connected directly to modem. my ip address has changed but i assume that is normal.

and now i got all packets received.

7. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

but i still get disconnects

8. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

ok...today i have to boot in safe mode to access the internet...this problem doesn't go away even when i'm not using the router.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... today i have to boot in safe mode to access the internet ..."

To state the obvious conclusion from the above statement, you have a malware problem. Or at least some program that is not working correctly.

Msconfig (Start - Run - msconfig - OK) will let you choose which non-system processes start at boot. With an iterative process you can determine the culprit.

Another approach would be to post a HiJackThis log in the security forum to see if the experts there spot some malware. If you do this, it would be nice if you cross-reference the threads.

10. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

how do i cross-reference the thread?

and i figured something like that may be a problem. as i have tried narrowing it down to everything. but this disconnect happens in safe mode as well. it also happens on my ps2.

11. 104456

Did you get a line check done by your phone company as the disconnections could be caused by too much noise on the line?
    The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem and they had to change the DB[decibel] rate of the line as the loop attenuation was high.If that doesnt solve the problem recheck all your internal cables and filters arent causing an issue.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    By cross-reference I meant to simply copy the URL of one thread and paste it into the other.

"this disconnect happens in safe mode as well.it also happens on my ps2."

So, we haven't isolated the problem to malware at all! The above suggests a problem with ISP, coax cable (yours or theirs), modem or ethernet cable. My post #2 suggestions may still help.

In addition the LEDs on your modem may be of great help. For example, on my cable modem I now have the normal situation of solid green for Power, Receive, Send and Online with blinking amber for Activity.

When my ISP is down, I have only the Power LED on. When one of my cable connections (especially the outside one) goes bad I'll have the green Power LED and either flashing Receive or (solid Receive and flashing Send). And then I'll usually lose the Receive signal and it will start over again.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I thought you had cable, but if it's DSL I agree completely with 104456. If it is cable, just change "phone" to "cable" in his post. :)

14. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

i do have cable broadband
    and i thought the flashing green for cable activity and pc link was good. the internet and cable link are solid green. i can change coaxil cables for one i have already...but the isp has either ignored my questions or simply stated that i should check my pc for problems suggesting it is on my side. i did some registry fix in the security forum and that has me running in normal windows. i figure there had to be something else wrong though because i don't understand why i get disconnects so often. it could be the isp...but this would mean i have the worse service i have ever experienced before then. i have several different providers and if this is the case than this is rediculous.

15. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

well....changed the coaxil cable...no difference in the lights on the modem. for now..i have been on longer than i ever have in the past couple weeks. about an 1hr without a disconnect. i hope my problem is going away...but i figure it can't be so simple.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice