1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connection keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by davin_g, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

ok...more disconnects and again i am in safe mode.....argh..i have contacted my isp and waiting for reply.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless your ISP suffered a system failure they will be able to help you only during the time that you are disconnected. When you are connected, everything will look normal to them. :)

Help yourself help them help you by taking carefull note of how the modem's LEDs change from connect to disconnect and (see my first post) note your ipconfig. For instance, does your IP address go to zero or to 169.254.x.y?

I don't understand this business of sometimes having to go into safe mode to connect. Are you saying that when the modem LEDs are indicating a connection to the ISP you sometimes can connect in regular mode but sometimes you have to use safe mode? If so, your ISP probably can't help. They can help only if there is a problem between them and the modem (including the modem if it is theirs).

3. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

ok...i figure it probably isn't my isp but i am taking a stab in the dark here. yes...i was finally working in regular mode for about an hour earlier when we fixed some registry stuff but now i am back in safe mode. it seems the modem cycles down or something i think. i don't really know. as most of the time even though my computer says i am connected...and the lights on my modem are flashing i still can not connect. there are times i connect..but only for about 20 minutes. usually i can power off and power on and get back on...but otherwise i can't. these are the lights on my mode....messages/cable activity/cable link/pc link/internet.

the message light is off as i have no voice messages. the cable activity light blinks. the cable link is solid. the pc link blinks. and the internet is solid. i assume that is the way it should look. my ip address currently is 192.168.0.101
    but when it didn't work it was like 74.137.229.187 i believe...or something like that

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    192.168.0.101 is a private address, indicating that you are using your router.

74.... appears to be a good public IP, indicating that you are connected. Were you able to ping that internet site "when it didn't work"?

5. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

ok.....don't know if this means anything...but when i couldn't connect this was my ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-n3ty7athd5
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
    rnet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-51-C5-D9
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 24, 2006 11:50:06 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 31, 2006 11:50:06 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

so...just as a side note..also i pinged yahoo and got 1 received and then another ip and nothing.

also...the modem just stops blinking and then goes to try to cycle again....and then the internet light just flashes...i have to unplug and plug back in to get connection.....this happens every time i use yahoo messanger...is that a coincidence or not? more help needed please.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This ipconfig just shows that your PC is still connected to your router. More important is

"i pinged yahoo and got 1 received and then another ip and nothing.

also...the modem just stops blinking and then goes to try to cycle again"

I think the preceding is the information that you want to stress to your ISP tech support. It is very indicative of a cable/connection problem.

This sounds to me very much like
    1. Modem is failing,
    2. Problem with cable company's coax, or
    3. Problem with your coax.

I have no idea how to check (1) except by trying another modem.

For 2, if you have overhead cable, look for any connection (on pole, a box, to your house, ...) that could be loose or anywhere the cable may be blowing against a tree limb or similar. If you spot anything suspicious, discuss that also with your ISP.

For 3, make sure all your coax connections are good, only one splitter (a good one) in the line to the modem, and expecially look at any outside connection (especially-squared if there is a ground connection). If it's an underground cable, look for wet spots, mangled boxes, places where underground animals may have chewed on the cable. I realize that this advice applies more to a house than an apartment, but I don't know what else to suggest.

7. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

thank you.....i worried this might be the problem...as something i really can't fix....and knowing cable companies....something they won't usually fix...just beat around the bush with you...i will look. i have changed modems...and it still happens....so pretty sure not that. i thought maybe something was telling the modem to shut down. i mean...not always does the lights go out but most of the time it does...and it seems to exclusively happen when i chat on yahoo or msn. i mean really almost instantly. i have about two sentances and then black out...turn off...turn on. when i am browsing the internet...not so much problems. i will check with the wires....i switched out the coaxil cable running from the wall....seemed fine and still had the problem...but i will check with the outside...hopefully i can find. this cable is cable tv, phone, and internet in one....i guess that wouldn't be an issue. i mean...cable tv and phone work fine...just these darn disconnects..specifically with yahoo. the other people lose me all the time...i have installed multiple versions with no success...and i don't think my firewall is doing anything crazy. hmm...i contacted them..so we will see...but i was hoping for a personal fix..because i don't think i can count on them...thanks though.

8. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

well...recent disconnect gave me this new ipaddress...but i know you said before it was ok..but i wasn't certain about exact address so here it is.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-n3ty7athd5
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
    rnet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-51-C5-D9
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 74.137.229.187
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 74.137.224.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 74.128.9.6
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 74.128.1.32
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 24, 2006 4:58:57 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 29, 2006 4:58:57 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

i don't know if that makes a difference...i couldn't see any problems with the cable...but then again i don't see it all of it....or if there is corruption inside. like i said....mostly when i get on yahoo instant messanger or msn messanger.....someone told me they take alot of memory to run???i don't know...but i know my computer is running slow because it doesn't have alot of virtual memory left....could that be an issue....i mean i understand why it might kick me off yahoo...but not the internet entirely and power my modem down...hmm..i don't know...just giving ideas as this is frustrating...i haven't been able to talk to my girlfriend in 3 days and while that is a good thing sometimes...i actually would like to talk to her on occassion...lol.

anyways..if you tell me...i might just close this thread if you think nothing further can be done...because the security guys had me do that...and suggested i start one in xp....should i do that? thank you for your help though.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm at a loss to suggest anything else. The ipconfig shows that you were connected to the modem at that time, and you had a good IP configuration from your ISP and you had obtained it at Monday, July 24, 2006 4:58:57 PM. What does that time mean to you? That you had disconnected shortly before that and then it reconnected at 4:58:57?

I can't say that it couldn't be a problem with your computer, but since it happens in Safe Mode, and given what you've told us about the modem LEDs, I still think that you need to work with your ISP. If you could contact your ISP at the time of a disconnect, that would be ideal.

You could just let this thread sit idle until you get new information, or hopefully soon, a fix. When you get a fix, I'd sure like to hear what it is.

10. davin_g

davin_g Thread Starter

ok...no prob....that was the current time. see the thing is...my computer says it is connected...just won't browse or use messanger. when i go into internet connections..it says connected...but i can't log on...or anything..so i did that ip thing you suggested. i don't see how i am connected if i can't get on the net. so i might fix the connection or disable and enable again..but neither ever works....i will work with my isp....currently i am trying to free up alot more memory. i have alot of movies and music on my computer and i am trying to save them to disk so if i have to...i can just do a restore and see if that fixes the problem....i mean if that don't i know i need a tech out here right? but i hope to open up some memory so these programs can run properly. the other day i did see a low system memory thing flash up...but i checked and i still have 15.3 gb left out of 70 so i don't know...maybe that is a red zone...or maybe that was a special memory i was running low on. i do know my computer is running a bit slow....alot of processes or at least stuff on it....so i am going to clean it up a bit ....and see if that helps. the problem with the disconnect is that it goes off...and then comes back on...so i know by the time i get through...everything will probably work. anyways...thanks for all your help...at least i have narrowed down my options. i appreciate it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice