1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection Lost with online games,chats

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Brokensaber, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brokensaber

Brokensaber Thread Starter

Hi All

I need some help, major help trying to find the cause of my problem.

First let me describe my situation.

My Set up - 2 computers with XP,
    computer 1 acts as gateway.
    Computer 1 s ethernet is hooked up to a Breezenet 11 Pro outdoor that connects to my WISP. I have a good antenna and the line amplified.

The Issue, I have random disconnects with online games and chats. I still have internet access btw.

Now here is the big mystery. Computer 1 will be online playing ultima online same as computer 2. Computer 1 (which is the gateway) losses connection with game while computer 2 is still playing. Or vice versa. I have had this WISP for over a year now and the situation started 5 months ago.

I have checked my set up, done all sorts of things.
    Checked with my Wisp. They say everything is ok
    Checked with Att.net, they say everything is ok.
    Checked with the EA.com, they show nothing is wrong.
    Mind you I get disconnects with chats also.

Connection to my WISP is Solid.

It might be syncronization but I dont know what to do about it. Im a total newb when it comes to settings and such, tcp/ip stuff and all.

Hope some of you Gurus out there can help point me in the right direction on what to do.

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Sounds like it's lag to me. Have you done any tests? Go to dslreports.com and click on the tools link on the left menu and then do the line packet loss test the next time you have problems. You can also try out the tweak test.

3. Brokensaber

This has been happening everyday for 5 months straight.
    consistancy is like 3-10 times in 20 minutes.

Could a router be the issue?
    My connection goes through 2 routers before it hits my ISP's server.

would router firewalls cause dropped packets?, My ISP says he doesnt block ports, but how can I be sure?

If it is the routers, what options do I have?

Would a static ip resolve this?

4. Toddles18

Toddles18

5. Brokensaber

Brother... Its not lag. I've done all that stuff countless times, the connection is prime, my trace is prime, no packet loss.

6. xxkhbxx

xxkhbxx

if u have xp with service pack 2 installed that mite be the problem check microsoft website, they are working on a fix

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/246388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice