1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection many users Wifi Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Raskon, Jun 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Raskon

Raskon Thread Starter

Hello forum team, I have problem my wifi router when connection many users disconnection from wifi.

How can I make that connection for many users on my router?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What are the brand and exact model number of the wireless router? About how many users are you talking about? Routers designed for home use may slow down or crash if there are many simultaneous WiFi connections.

What are the LAN DHCP and subnet settings for the router?

3. Raskon

Raskon Thread Starter

on 200-300 users for my home.

LAN DHCP and subnet settings

[​IMG]

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your subnet mask setting supports a maximum of 254 connected devices to the router (wired and wireless combined).

Your DHCP lease pool allows for a maximum of 155 devices to have unique IP addresses assigned to them by the router's DHCP server.

Once a device gets an IP address via DHCP, the router will reserve that address for only that device for a period of 7 days (604800 seconds lease period). The reserved IP address will not be available for use by another device until the lease time expires, even if the original device is no longer connected to the router. Resetting the router will expire all existing leases.

A typical good home router may be able to handle a dozen connections at a time. Supporting 200-300 simultaneous WiFi Connections will probably require several business-grade WiFi access points running in unison to give sufficient WiFi bandwidth for each user.

5. Raskon

Raskon Thread Starter

How can I make from 254 to 500 users connection?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you bother reading Chuck's post, or just quoted it?

7. Raskon

Raskon Thread Starter

If I change subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0, Can connection 508 users??

I reading but I don't understand and my question is can I make many users connection

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You can only expand the subnet mask if the router supports it. Most routers for home use top out at 255.255.255.0. for 254 connections. A "Class B router" can do a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask that supports 65,534 connections. They are not cheap and they are not WiFi.

Do the 500+ WiFi connected devices need to communicate with each other or just to the Internet? What is the average bandwidth requirements for each of the WiFi connections?

9. Raskon

Raskon Thread Starter

just to the Wifi, all connection are mobile phone.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Raskon likes this.
  11. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The rule of thumb is to have about 50 clients per access point on business class equipment if the clients are only doing sporadic communications such as web traffic. For continuous streaming type network traffic, this rule of thumb drops to about 12 to 15 clients. Again only on business class access points. These guides are also under pretty ideal conditions. If you have sources of RF interference nearby, this will cause a reduction in the number of clients an access point can support. This is why for any implementation such as this a wireless survey needs to be done. Not only to map out sources our RF interference but to get a handle on physical environmentals (walls, construction materials) and to get an idea where the concentration of users are located. If most of the wireless clients are concentrated in one area of the building, then that's where the concentration of APs will be installed. You don't just spread out the installation of the APs to have an even spread of APs across an given floor. There is a method on placement.

Not only do you have to factor in the processing overhead of connected clients to any given AP, you have to look at basic networking fundamentals. To have 508 end points all on the same subnet is foolish. You have to factor in network traffic overhead such as various broadcast traffic which is a normal part of any network. This broadcast traffic will cause performance issues on any network and especially with wireless where any communication to and from a given AP is monopolized by a single device communicating on that RF channel. This is before any actual application traffic is being supported.

cwwozniak likes this.
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice