1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connection problem. no ip?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by morethanmost, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morethanmost

morethanmost Thread Starter

Hellooo forum,

I have just spent the past hour lurking you for a solution to my problem. I found lots of cases like mine but the solutions didnt work for me.

Earlier today I re installed windows XP. Before reinstall my net was working fine. And now it won't connect.

I tried to use the installation disc that came with the modem, and partway through the install/set up it says that it cannot find my Gateway.

ipconfig shows " windows up configuration"
    And when search the dev managers, network addapters is not in the list.

I realllly have no idea what ive done. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's probably what you haven't done. :) Have you updated XP to SP3? Have you installed the latest (from the PC or motherboard manufacturer's web site) chipset, networking and other needed drivers?

3. motarola2

motarola2

Yep, like Terry says, probably you haven't installed the chipset drivers and the NIC drivers.
    The device manager should show "other devices" meaning it does detect hardware.

4. morethanmost

Oh okay thanks guys. I shall try later on tonight when i have access to a pc.

Just one more question.

For these drivers i need, how to i find out what make and model i have to be able to search the right drivers?

thanks very much

5. morethanmost

I just tried. But I can't seem to get it working. Though im not sure im even downloading the right drivers.

in system properties it says my pc is a: amd athlon 64 x2 duel processor 6000+

I searched and installed drivers for this but ITT didnt work.

when i boot my pc. It says gigabyte s series motherboards. I looked for drivers for this but I i found on the site was links for "drive tuner" which won't work for me because it wants to download from the net. Which I dont have.

If anyone could point me in the direction of the drivers I need. I'd be much appreicated. I am a total novice.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For a brand name (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) PC you find the drivers on the manufacturer's web site for your model. Some, such as Dell, make searching easier by giving you a Service Tag # that identifies your exact configuration.

For a custom built you find the drivers on the motherboard manufacturer's web site, or you can probably at least start using the drivers on the CD that accompanied the motherboard.

7. morethanmost

thanks mate, ive now sorted the drivers for the ethernet controller, and for my graphics card. but i am having trouble identifying my sound card to look for drivers.

I used "Cpuid cpu-z" to find out my mother board and craphics card, but i cant find the information on my sound card.

its a custom built pc, and ive long since lost all the packaging / install discs.

8. morethanmost

craphics card, typo but its well suited actually.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No guarantees, but I'd try System Information for Windows to see what it can tell you about the sound card.

I just checked and see that SIW has undergone some changes since I last downloaded it. If you click on the Purchase/Download link at the top and then scroll to the "Freeware Versions" I see that the Standalone has been discontinued. I suppose the Home Edition is the same thing with advertising added.

10. morethanmost

Thanks Terry,

ive installed that program but this is what it shows me

[​IMG]

im still abit lost :eek:, Is the Device ID what im looking for? or can i use that to find what im looking for?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that if you search for (from the Device ID) VEN_xxxx&DEV_zzzz you will find useful information. :) Possibly you'll need to use more of the info on that line; I've never had to experiment with this.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice