Connection problem with IE5.5

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kaneohe

I'm trying to connect to the web using IE 5.5 SP2 on a WIN98 machine with 128mb and a broadband connection via roadrunner. The problem is that when I first open an IE session, there is a 3-5 minute delay before I actually load my homepage (cnn.com); it should normally take less than 10 seconds. During
this 3-5 minute delay, I was able to look at the FILE>PROPERTIES setting and found the following:
res://C:\windows\system\SHDOCLC.DLL/navcancl.htm#http://www.cnn.com
What does this mean? Also, once I've successfully connected to my home page, I am able to connect to any other web page without any problems or delays.

I have tried the following actions with no solution:
deleted cookies, temp files, cleared cache
changed my home page to a different web page
re-installed IE 5.5
used the REPAIR tool for IE 5.5
talked with roadrunner tech support and we were able to determine that I was pinging/connecting at 1.8Mbs

I am able to connect to cnn.com or any other page using Netscape
Communicator without any problems, thus, I am pretty sure the problem is IE related. HELP!

Mahalo for your time.
Kaneohe

Kaneohe

Aloha,
a quick follow-up thought....could the problem of not immediately loading my homepage be due to a broken entry in my file types associations list?
Mahalo
Kaneohe

From Bryan.

Alot of people get that error "res://...shdoclc.dll...." and don't realize there is nothing wrong with Shdoclc.dll nor is there anything wrong with the .htm file. That error is supposed to be displayed indicating IEs inablility to resolve to an object. It's creator at Microsoft internally named it that to signify, Navigation Cancelled. Navcancl.htm is part of Windows and contained in Shdoclc.dll. You won't find Navcancl.htm on your PC because it's embedded HTML in the Shdoclc.dll file. There are others like Dnserror.htm that are also embedded in Shdoclc.dll.

http://support.microsoft.com/suppor...oclc.dll&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98

This will explain it a little more. Look under the section titled "More Information".

Kaneohe

Thanks for the insight, Bryan. I guess I can conclude that the "res://...shdoclc.dll...." is supposed to be there. My initial problem of experiencing a very long delay for the first web page to load remains. It doesn't seem to matter what my home page is set to, I still experience the delay. Once that first web page has loaded all subsequent URLs load without any delay.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, could this delay be due to a broken entry in my file associations list?

Thanks again for your response.
Kaneohe

Bryan

Bryan
When you first start up the PC and before you start IE, try this and let us know what happens.

Start>Programs>MSDos prompt. Once you have a DOS prompt type in the following and press enter.

ping 216.32.74.52

Then try this

ping www.yahoo.com

Do you get a reply with each Ping?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts