1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KookeyManjo, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KookeyManjo

KookeyManjo Thread Starter

Greetings!
    This is my first time here so I hope you'll bear with me. And boy, do I hope someone can throw some light my way because thus far nobody's been able to even strike a match!

Problem:
    When I connect to my ISP, I'm told that I'm registered on the network and given my connection speed. Occasionally, however, once I start Outlook Express I'll get the following error message:

'The host 'pop3.XXXXXXXX.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'XXXXXXXX Mail',
    Server:'pop3.XXXXXXXX.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
    No,Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D' [N.B. the X's are my
    doing --- the actual information is correct]

All has been verified and is correct. When this happens I cannot send or receive mail, or access the Internet. I am unable to ping any site either by IP address or URL. The only way to rectify the problem is to reboot --- simply reconnecting will always get the same result. The problem seems to occur in clusters, giving me relatively little trouble for a few weeks, then for the next several weeks I will have to reboot every time I want to go online (this can become quite annoying after the 7th or 8th time!). My usage and habits are constant and I cannot tie the difficulty to anything done by me, software, or hardware. Doing a 'route print' and 'ipconfig/all | more' under error condition showed TWO default gateways (o.o.o.o) and PPP adapters, instead of the single ones when performed with a normal connection. (It seems XP is as confused as I am.)

Measures tried :
    I have a Network Interface Card installed for future use but it is not connected, and it has also been disabled through Task Manager. All TCP/IP settings have been reviewed and are correct. I have hard-coded both primary and secondary DNS for dial-up, and also put in an IP address and netmask in the LAN TCP/IP, making sure that no default gateways were specified. I also uninstalled the firewall Zone Alarm for a week. Nothing helped.

Needed:
    Any help, guidance or advice that will point me to a solution for this
    problem. The guy that built my system hasn't a clue, and most of the above attempts at solving were suggested by the networking guru at my ISP. Posting on a Microsoft BB got nothing useful, nor did searching the Knowledge Base. I will forward a copy of 'route print' and 'ipconfig/all | more' done during both good and bad connection upon request.

Misc.:
    I'm running a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition, and standing by with my with my sledge hammer and duct tape. If you have a solution I'd very much appreciate your being as specific as possible (my expertise doesn't extend beyond use of said tape).

I sincerely hope that your fountain of wisdom has a deeper well than mine...

Thanks for bearing with me!

Regards, KookeyManjo

2. dopefish

dopefish

have you asked your isp if they have been having trouble or doing maintenance on their email servers????

i found this at microsoft.com when searching for "Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

"CAUSE

This behavior can occur when POP3 or SMTP server account information is incorrect on your computer. If your account information is correct, behavior can be caused by the connection to your Internet service provider because the e-mail servers may be unavailable for reasons such as maintenance."

3. KookeyManjo

I've discussed the problem at length with my ISP. Not just with every tech support helper but at length with the head technical administrator on numerous occasions. This problem has occurred over a period of several months so a server being down doesn't fit, and if the problem was on their end I don't think that rebooting would always solve the error, which it does. I wish that the problem was on their end but I don't believe that's the case.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I've also had my phone lines checked by the phone company. They are fine.

Nothing that I've found at Microsoft has been of help...

4. tpb

tpb

Are you using the firewall that is contained in XP or any other firewall?

5. dopefish

dopefish

try searching for

No,Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

in groups.google.com theres alot of posts there with the same problem maybe you can find an solution

6. KookeyManjo

I've checked at Google but another look won't hurt. As for a firewall, Xp's is disabled and I'm using the most current free version of Zone Alarm. I uninstalled ZA for a week when things first started but the problem continued.

Earlier today I spoke to the guy that built my system and he suggested that I physically pull the NIC. At least it's something simple to try. If it helps I'll post the good news here. (that sound you don't hear is me not holding my breath).

Thanks for looking at my problem.

7. KookeyManjo

I pulled the NIC but it did not solve things. And I believe that the error code is a symptom of another problem, not the problem itself. What I need to figure out is what would cause the system to think that there are two default gateways and PPP adapters when in fact there is only one.

Searching both MS and Google again for similar problems provided nothing useful.Does anyone have any suggestions???

I think, therefore I confuse myself...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice