1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mattom, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattom

mattom Thread Starter

Hi there.

Got a problem hooking up a PC to broadband.

The PC was originally purchased for use with an external model, so it only had a short serial port. We got a cable broadband connection for another PC in the house. It uses a USB connection. This leaves spare a erthernet connection. I checked the connectivity of the erthernet connection by hooking it up to my laptop and got the internet fine. Able to view a youtube vid without any probs. So, this tells me that cable modem and erthernet connection are fine.

Seeing the problem PC has no erthernet socket I purchased and installed a tp-link fast erthernet adapter. As the OS is XP Home, the driver self-installed. The erthernet card and the modem seem to connect fine. Red LED flashing on the card. The connection and activity information in the 'local area connection' panel suggest there is a connection and that a small amound of data are being sent and received. I've tested various settings in the 'connections' panel in the internet options. In the 'dialup and VPN settings' I've got thre radio button on 'never dial a connection'.

However, when I open Internet Explorer I always get the 'working off line' warning, which wants to trigger the old dialup connections. I can access some previously used web pages, but I can't dig too deep without getting the same warning.

If any one has any ideas on how to solve the problem, it'd realy be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Matthew.

2. Olemann

Olemann

Open IE, open Tools, select Internet Options, then select Connections and then hook on Never dial a connection.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are trying to use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) please show for both PCs ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

4. mattom

mattom Thread Starter

Hi Terry.

Just before I completely stuff things up in DOS, I should be clear that I'm not necessarly getting both PCs to operate at the same time off this modem. It does not have a router in it. I know that I'll only be able to run one at a time on the net. That's fine for the moment. I don't need to mess with the existing PC. It workers fine. I'm just trying to get the second one connected.

Yes, Olemann I have that setting in place.

Cheers,
    Matthew.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What are you trying to do? Connect a different computer to the modem? If so, do you know that a power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds or more) of the modem is necessary?

6. mattom

mattom Thread Starter

All fixed now. Esentially, it seems that the modem was confused as to what computer it was connecting to the net. I was getting the problem on both PCs on an intermitent basis. Anyway, I purchased router and set that up and all is now well. Ta for the reply anyway, though.

Cheers,
    Matthew,

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice