Connection Problems on 1 Wireless Network, Not Other

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BriLam

I work in a library which has wireless internet. I have wireless at home, as well. At home, my laptop connects fine. However, at the library it does not connect.

This problem stemmed from when I was working with the library's fleet of laptops. All of a sudden, both my laptop and another displayed messages alerting me they both had conflicting IP addresses. I shut the other laptop down, as well as mine, but the other sat powered off for about 4 days. Mine was connected to my network at home a few minutes later.

I came back to the library and the other laptop connected fine. My laptop did not, however. I figured this stemmed from the IP address conflict. I started looking at a few things and attempted to reset the router and power my computer off. I grabbed another laptop which does connect and compared the settings in Wireless Connection Status > Support to mine. The working laptop is as such:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.0.27
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.224
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

My non-working laptop (on this network) is as follows:

Address Type: Automatic Private Address
IP Address: 169.254.146.175
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: (Blank)

Note that my computer does connect to the network after a longer amount of time, but when IE or another program which utilizes the internet is opened, nothing works. I also noticed in the Wireless Network Connection Status > General window that under activity, packets are being sent, but none received.

I tried resetting the IP and renewing it and other tips I found on this site. I also attempted to reset a few other things as seen on this site utilizing the command prompt. Obviously, nothing work.

Please also note that I have never attempted or had to personally tweak any settings to connect to any of these networks.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TerryNet

Terry
If the library signal is encrypted, the key on your laptop is probably somehow messed up. Delete that network from your laptop, then try connecting again.

If the library signal is not encrypted, you might try uninstall your wireless adaptor, restart the laptop, and reinstall. If that doesn't work, sometimes resetting the router to factory settings and then reconfiguring it works. Of course, make sure you know how the router is configured before resetting it.

BriLam

The library signal is in fact not encrypted. I will try uninstalling the wireless adapter, since I have removed the network from my preferred networks and re-connected many times.

Any idea why the IP addresses conflicted and how to stop that in the future?

Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
"Any idea why the IP addresses conflicted and how to stop that in the future?"

An obvious possibility is that at least one computer was using a static IP, and it was the same as another static IP or an IP assigned by the router's Dhcp server.

I've seen a couple other threads where the router was apparently screwing up and assigning the same IP twice; in those cases resetting to factory conditions and/or updating the firmware seemed to fix the problem.

BriLam

Thanks for all the suggestions. So, the best way to correct this is to remove the wireless adapter and restart the computer. I'll do so when I get back to the site of the offending network.

BriLam

No dice.

I uninstalled, restarted, and attempted to connect. Now, instead of it showing I am connected but not being able to do anything, it simply shows the connectivity message.

After searching the forums, on a whim, I applied PCFix to my computer.

Now, it tells me I am connected again, but doesn not work. No packets are received, only sent. Yet it works on my home network. Arg.

Any other ideas?

TerryNet

Terry
Some of these are already above, but I'm revisiting them:

Double check that the library router is not doing MAC address filtering and not restricting Dhcp IP address range.

Check that its Dhcp client list shows all the other computers you expect to be connected.

No other library computers are using Static IP, right?

Have you tried (after noting or saving the router's configuration) resetting to factory conditions and/or updating the firmware of the library router?

By the way, "No packets are received, only sent" means that you are NOT connected. It means that your computer is sending packets on a (wireless) network, but it hasn't even received an acknowledgment much less an IP configuration. Sorta like yelling, "Can anybody hear me? Anybody? Hey, anybody there?" without getting a reply.

BriLam

Once again I appreciate the reply. I did not setup the network, which consists of three router spread throughout the library, so I need to get access to it before I check. We have had problems with the network ranging from the notification of two computers using the same IP address to other patron's laptops simply not being able to connect with no messages whatsoever. Yet, many computers do in fact connect.

Since I am a temporary worker at the library, I'm not in charge of this network but am trying to iron the kinks out. It doesn't help that I'm not too familiar with wireless but someone's got to do it. :)

Tomorrow, I'm resetting the entire network for about 10 minutes and starting from scratch. This will be done, however, after I gain access and see exactly what the settings are. Your suggestions will be looked at.

I simply find it odd that my computer is the only one I know of which consistently cannot connect after this IP error occurred. The other computer mended itself eventually after sitting for four days. I can't find time to let mine sit for that long. Who knows if it would even work?

Thanks again.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
On a lark, let's try resetting the TCP/IP stack.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

TerryNet

Terry
"... my computer is the only one I know of which consistently cannot connect ..."

I've kinda ignored your computer because it works at home and used to work at library "without tweaking settings". But, sometimes a glitch--you've already tried the uninstall/reinstall trick, and JohnWill now has suggested a (simple, quick) TCP/IP stack repair. You've changed some settings, so, just in case, I'll state the following.

If you have set your computer to a static IP address to connect at home, and that address doesn't work at the library (different subnet), there's your answer.

Somewhere in your wireless settings for the library network is "Network Authentication." It should probably be of type "Open." I don't really understand this setting except that it can drive you nuts if set "wrong."

With three routers at the library, please DO NOT make any changes until you've mapped out and understand how they are connected--each is independently connected to a different modem; "daisy-chain" where one's WAN (or "Internet" or "Modem") port connected to a LAN port of another; LAN port to LAN port (the "proper" way to expand a network); etc. And then such things as do they all use the same wireless signal or different; do they each assign IP addresses or just one of them does; etc.

BriLam

In regards to the commands to run, the first ran fine but the second, netsh int ip reset reset.log, gave me an error stating the command could not be found.

I will gain access to the router settings hopefully today and will take a look.

Thanks again.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you're not running SP2 on XP, I'd install it. It fixes a lot of wireless issues.

BriLam

It's installed.

Maybe if I cry a little bit, things will improve. It's worth a shot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online