1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection problems with new PCI NIC

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Nanook, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nanook

Nanook Thread Starter

I've recently replaced my ISA NIC with a D-Link DFE 530TX PCI NIC. Since this change, I've had various problems with my system. I've tried to problem solve it on my own, but keep coming up short. Any advice for a tired young man?

Here are the problems, and what I've done to unsuccesfully resolve it:

Problems
    1. Internet connection comes to a halt (cable modem). I've verified that it's okay from cable modem to the world
    2. the number '7' appears anywhere I leave the cursor idle for 5 or 10 minutes. Usually in a chat program.
      [/list=1]

I usually see the internet connection problem occur if I'm surfing or playing Quake 2 (solo). It's almost as if the NIC is no longer responding and not so much the connection after it.

Here's what I've done to try and fix:
      • Swap NIC PCI slots.
      • Reinstall NIC drivers.
      • Call cable modem tech support (ISP)
      • Disabling/enabling PCI bus steering.
      • Release/renew IP's in winipcfg
      • Disable as many background progs as I could - i.e. Zone Alarm
        [/list=A]

I also have RH linux on the same system (dual boot) and it has no issues at all. So I know it's not hardware related. Something about the windows env that doesn't like a PCI NIC on my system.

I'm running bare bones (hardly any software) since my windows ME install a few days ago. Also, my mainboad is an Asus P5 A-B.

Any thought anyone?

Gratefully yours,

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. Nanook

Nanook Thread Starter

Great find sir!! I had searched MS knowledge base but did not come across this point about the D-Link adapter. I do have the latest drivers D-Link has to offer (did from the start) but I'm willing to bet it's a WinME/D-Link thing passed on from Win98.

Actually, D-Link doesn't have WinME specific drivers. Since Win98SE and ME are so close, I grabbed the win98 versions. It's the only choice available really.

My plan is to return this cheapy D-Link NIC and replace with a cool "Arthur Fonzarelli" type. This way I can be sure it's the NIC and not something else. Happy Days are here again!!

Thanks Rog!

:D

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome -- and good luck with it :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice