1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connection problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by homerkp, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. homerkp

homerkp Thread Starter

OK, so I've had the same problem that TONS of people have reported all over the web. I'm running Vista and my web browser (either Firefox or IE) constantly loses connection even though I still am networked (i.e. I can do other network things but have no browser activity). This has been reported all over the web and nobody seems to know why. However, I've figured something out. I have the desktop hardwired to my linksys router and we run a laptop wirelessly from the router. The laptop always works no matter what. However, the desktop ONLY works consistently IF THE LAPTOP IS ON. If the laptop is turned off, the desktop connection works sporadically. If the laptop is on, the desktop works perfectly fine.

PLEASE help me solve this. I'm SO irritated. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. gamergomer

gamergomer

What kind of internet do you how and how does it connect? Do you have a dsl connection? If so, does your router keep a pppoe connection for you?

3. homerkp

homerkp Thread Starter

I have Roadrunner through TWC. Not sure how to answer the other question...

4. gamergomer

gamergomer

ok, you have cable internet. What antivirus do you have and do you have an other anti-spyware or firewall?

Go to start and type cmd in the search box. Run it and you'll get a black box. Type ipconfig /all in the black box and hit enter. Right-click on the box and choose select all. Paste that into a reply.

Do the same for the laptop (if it's xp, go to start and then run. put the cmd there).

How long has the problem been happening? What happened around the same time that the problem started (did you get a virus, or change antivirus software or anything?)

5. homerkp

homerkp Thread Starter

I have Kapersky. I do not have another firewall running.

The problem started when I put the wireless router in. When it first started, I completely uninstalled the router/disconnected it/etc. and the desktop worked fine again. But soon after I reinstalled the router it started again.

The problem I'm reporting is one that's been repeated all over various tech support forums. However, I've never seen anyone who noticed that the laptop needed to be on for the connection problems to disappear on the desktop.

6. gamergomer

gamergomer

Well, if the problem started when you got the router, and the problem dissapeared with the router out of the picture, you might want to try another router... Or you might want to try upgrading the router's firmware.

Yes, there are lots of connectivity issues out there. Would you like to give me the information I asked for earlier?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice