1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JayWicked, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JayWicked

JayWicked Thread Starter

Is it possible that my connection is encountering difficulty when it's too cold outside?
    My room is not on first floor and the cable goes outside from my room and all the way down outside.

I'm asking this because in the last 5 days, I have been encountering problems with my connection. And strangely the first 4 days it crapped up the night. And yesterday it crapped up near 5 PM to this afternoon today. And yesterday was like the coldest day so far this year so i'm wondering.

On MSN Troubleshooting thing, sometime they say my gateway appear offline (it's not) and sometime it's DNS or Key Ports. But it always change, never the same.

Anyway, right now, sunny day, and it's working pretty fine. I'm just wondering.

2. sickcars

sickcars

Im guessing your on Rogers Cable? "Since you said the cable goes outside and so on" I guess its possible but the cable should be able to handle it. Unless you have an old cable or maybe water is getting it somewhere who knows....

I would give rogers a call and have them check it out. Also make sure you have unplugged your modem for about 1 min and plug it back in and restart computer. Sometimes it may just fix the problem.

Ciao

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's the the temperature of the cable, but rather the ISP's gateway equipment that's scattered around your neighborhood. I had this kind of issue where when it got hot the cable Internet would crap out. They finally replaced the gateway box that serviced our area and all was well.

I'm hoping that there is no temperature issue with fiber connections. :D

4. JayWicked

JayWicked Thread Starter

Don't know about the cable but it's pretty new. Videotron Extreme Speed I am on, so I guess it's a Videotron cable haha.

And JohnWill, I have been using the same gateway for the last like 5 years, never encountered this.

5. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

My cable connection comes from a pole to the house. Works winter and summer here in Canada. Snowing, outside, as I type. Have had same ISP and cable connection for three years. Relatively consistent connection @ 10 Mb/s
    9329 / 616 (Kbps)
    (1138.8 / 75.2 KB/sec)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Jay, I used the same Comcast cable connection for several years before they had the issue with their gateway for me. Stuff happens, and electronics craps out. It can happen. ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice