1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection randomly drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NEWPORT2, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NEWPORT2

NEWPORT2 Thread Starter

Motorola wireless modem connected to a netgear router. Use the wifi from the Motorola SURFboard 2.4GHz Wireless-G Cable Modem Gateway. Whether I use my macbook, either one of m windows labtops, or my xbox. The connection randomly drops. Its still visible but its enough to kick me out of a game or stop internet activity for a minute or two. For example...on my macbook, i just turn airport off and on again and it finds it and reconnects. It seems like this is much more problematic during the day.

2. centauricw

centauricw

Are there other wireless access points near you? You may need to change the channel setting on SURFboard to get a stable connection.

3. NEWPORT2

NEWPORT2 Thread Starter

i played with the channel setting on both. both were on auto, i tried 1 and 11 on the surfboard and took the netgear off auto

4. karstudios

karstudios

Do you have a wireless phone close to your wireless router? 2.4ghz is affected a lot of wireless home phones and causes the interference.

If you have the option, change the freq settings. Some routers will allow you to do and others you will need custom firmware.

5. NEWPORT2

NEWPORT2 Thread Starter

6. karstudios

karstudios

What is the distance from your devices to your wireless router?

7. NEWPORT2

NEWPORT2 Thread Starter

this will happen if my computers are right on top of the wifi modem. as far as other things that could interfere. its in my basement next to the vonage hook up... thats about it

8. NEWPORT2

NEWPORT2 Thread Starter

still haven't figured out the problem, i've been trying to find out how to update firmware on my surfboard but i cant seem to figure it out.

snooping around the modem settings and what not and under event log....

[​IMG]

what does this mean, its gotta be the problem

9. karstudios

karstudios

Who is your ISP?

I ask this because a lot of user will use DD-WRT which is a custom firmware. We do not provide support for DD-WRT, I believe. However, if you do use DD-WRT, it will load a custom firmware to your router. They have outstanding support if you run into issues.

I have use DD-WRT on mutilpule routers and all these issues go away.

10. NEWPORT2

NEWPORT2 Thread Starter

comcast, at like 12am - 5am. it works substantially better with maybe only one interruption at most.

i've watched the modem when it disconnects and it looks like it reboots itself.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice