1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection sharing accross 2 networks, wired and wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by greensheep2k, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greensheep2k

greensheep2k Thread Starter

Ok, I access the internet by connecting to my univerisities wired LAN in my dorm room.
    I also hav a Dell PDA with wireless LAN, so i bought a wireless access point and a USB wireless adaptor for my desktop in the hopes of setting up a wireless network and being able to share my university connection.
    after a hour or two of setup work, i got my wireless network up and running, but i found that my university internet connection no longer worked. I was able to fix this problem by telling windows to share the internet connection from my wired LAN connection (not sure why this worked, lol, but it did).
    Unfortuneately i am still unable to figure out how to make use of this internet connection from my PDA. Any help would be appreciated.
    A few bits of info:

1. Usin Win XP SP2, MS PPC2003 on the PDA
    2. Linksys wireless hardware, wireless G USB adaptor and wireless G broadband router/access point.
    3. I am also unable to access the settings of my access point from the PC unless i disable my wired LAN connection. (i can access the settings fine via the PDA)
    4. I've been able to access the internet on the PDA before by connecting to a friends WLAN.
    5. All my connections are firewalled, but the problem is identical even with all firewalls disabled

if any other info would help then please let me know,
    thanks
    Jonny

2. blin

blin

it could be the routing issue. posting the results of ipconfig /all and routing table may help.

3. greensheep2k

greensheep2k Thread Starter

had never heard of the IP config commend before your post so i ran it and it gave a lot of info, would take too long to write it all out so i'm going to attach a jpeg with all the information, i hope it can aid someone to help me,
    regards,
    Jonny

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A better choice would probably be a wireless router, since it would allow you to seamlessly share the single IP address.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice