1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection Sharing, NIGHTMARE(HELP ASAP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PanixOH, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PanixOH

PanixOH Thread Starter

Okay, well I will try to explain this as best possible, but to me this makes no logical sense. I am fairly knowledgeable with computers, and have been networking/sharing connections sense I was a wee baby! hah... but now all hell has broke loose!

Okay, first things first, to disregard virus... I updated everything virus defintions, the works. Did nortons web based virus scanner. No viruses found okay hmm.. well here is what im left with.. and it happens quite randomly!

8 Computer network, 1 server computer for internet connection.

It started like this, the server computer stopped sharing its internet connection for no reason. I checked ip settings and everything it was all okay. Its like it doesnt even try to find the DNS server. I stop sharing the connection.. It drops its subnet mask to 255.255.0.0. The rest of the network is on 255.255.255.0. If I manually set its ip to the correct subnet mask it is located on the network, if its automatic its loses itself in its own world.

Now I can connect and play on the internet while I set the ip manually and have the network working, but as soon as I share it, all hell breaks loose. Now this is what it did for awhile. (Note: there were a few times it would actually work for about 10 minutes then return to this, but that doesnt really count as it was a very rare occurance after the network sat for 3 days).

Well, this is where i get aggrivated.. I leave work, frustrated that my network is not sharing its internet connection.. just have it on the server computer so it can still be used. I come back 3 days later after my days off and share it, it works fine.. THen it 10 minutes later it quits working. I reconnect it, and whoa my computer is lagging. (Only while sharing connection, even though it does not really share, you get DNS error while sharing connection) Like if I move my mouse it will halt every so often, and the processor is being use is skyrocketing to 100% on and off. Soon as I disconnect fine. (My computer is transmitting data like noones business, wont recieve). Okay This is just plain wierd. maybe it is a virus my software just does not detect it, lets play a test run.

I grab a windows 2000 machine that wasnt previously connected ot the network, and I plug her in, connect to the internet/sharing it btw, and it does the same exact thing. Computer slows down to almost nil. Can barely click around my mouse is so lagged.

I tried slowing down my baud rate, and my data rate in the modem settings, still no help.

Since I am almost positive it isnt a virus, (unless they make them really abstract nowadays which im sure they do, but having that test computer do the same thing sets me off)

Now only thing I Can think of that it may be is that my network hubs are messed up somehow?

I have a switch, which plugs into the uplink port on my hub, and my computers all plug into the different ports there (this worked fine for along time)

I am not sure if this is it because I tried putting everything on the switch, and it still did this. The main thing I dont understand is why the computer I was previously sharing(Only tested it with the XP machine right now but I assume the 2000 would do the same is it drops to a lower subnet mask when i obtain IP automatically)

I know this is a wierd problem, please help if you can thank you!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would be really helpful if you'd tell us what kind of Internet connection, and how it's interfaced to the server. Also, what about the rest of the network? Switches, routers, hubs, etc.? Are you running a server version of 2K, or what on the server? What O/S versions on the other machines?

3. PanixOH

PanixOH Thread Starter

That was a quick reply!

Internet connection is a dial up, its just plugged into the servers modem. The windows version that has been what ive been using is Windows XP professional. The windows 2000 machine that I used to test and see if it would work is windows 2000 professional. There is a 4 port netgear hub, and a 8 port netgear(i think) switch. the switch currently is plugged into the hubs uplink port(I did that today not sure if its how it was) I got frustrated and ripped all the connections out and redid it. I am trying to use microsofts built in ICS. The computer can be found on the network normally if I share the connection, but dont connect. If I connect it lags the computer really bad, and neither can use the internet(Network/ or server) If I disable the connection sharing, I can use the internet connection fine(as long as I reconnect after taking off sharing). but its subnet mask is set to a random ip, with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. (REst of network is 255.255.255.0.) Now if I manually set its ip to something and put it on the right subnet mask manually i can use the internet, and be on the network at the same time. Just all hell breaks loose on the sharing side. Neither server nor network can use it. When I try to load a webpage it just almost instantly fails and goes to dns settings error page. Checked gateways and everything they appear to be right, even tried manually setting it. (Disable ICS lose connection to network intirely, low subnet mask)

4. GOTzMADsKILLz

GOTzMADsKILLz

Hmmm so this one server you are hooking up to the internet, with no firewall running or do you have the XP Pro windows Firewall running on it...even if dial up...

Have you checked the processes running on it? Windows Updates all done on the server and the rest of the comps...you say your AV is up to date but have you checked for Welchia and/or Blaster, had this one infect a comp using dial-up while trying to GET the updates from MS to stop it since the AV can't do a damn thing about it and didn't even tell me I had it even when up to date... What about spyware network traffic clogging the server?

So from the inside of the network you can ping the server from any computer when it's having this problem and when it's not?

Whew...sharing 8 comps to a dial up modem...sounds like a big bottleneck there, could be dropping packets since it might not be able to handle the load and send them fast enough, getting a "time out" possibly? Though I think if you can try a diffferent switch or hub.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't help much with ICS, since I think that is about the worst piece of crap I've ever seen. :) Just for yucks, have you considered something along the lines of the free www.analogx.com proxy server? It's much easier to get running than ICS...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice