1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection-specific DNS suffix ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gus76, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gus76

gus76 Thread Starter

I have -- or at least I did have -- a smoothly operating LAN with a D-Link DI 604 router with three computers connected by ethernet cables to ports on the router. The fourth ethernet port on the router is connected by a Cat 5e ethernet cable to a Buffalo WHR-G125 wireless access point that serves two computers on the second floor. Over the years I have added and removed computers from this LAN with no difficulty.

My son-in-law was going to give me a SnapServer 210 to allow all five computers to use as a backup and archive. The SnapServer had to be connected to the router, so I simply unplugged the ethernet cable from one of the computers and he connected the SnapServer to the router using that port. He spent a day trying to get it the SnapServer to function -- with no success -- during which he changed names etc. He finally gave up and has taken the SnapServer home when he returned.

I reconnected the ethernet cable to the port he had been using and found that computer was no longer on the LAN -- couldn't see other computers or be seen by them. I used the Setup Wizard to reset the LAN name etc. as I always have to add a machine to the LAN. The computer still could not be seen nor see other computers on the LAN. I have several times now reset the modem and router etc. with no success. I can go on the internet with that machine -- just can't get on the LAN.

That's a very long winded leadup to a simple question. I have run ipconfig on all machines. Several show in ipconfig as the Connection-specific DNS suffix "TROLLHAGEN", the name of the LAN. One machine (not the one that is unable to connect to the LAN) is showing as the Connection-specific DNS suffix "hsd1.nm.comcast.net." Shared folders that used to show in Local Network in My Network Places now show in The Internet..

Could the anomalous Connection-specific DNS suffix be the culprit that is preventing me adding back the one machine to the LAN and causing shared folders that should be shown in Local Network being shown in The Internet instead. The machine that can't connect to the LAN does show as the Connection-specific DNS suffix, TROLLHAGEN as it should.

Thanks.

2. Anthony7

Anthony7

The connection specific DNS suffix allows you to have to only type short names instead of the Fully Qualified Domain Name.

So if I am searching for HSANTHONY.ACDM.DS.SAIT.CA I would only have to type in HSNAHTONY and it would know the rest.

If you want to change the DNS suffix go to control panel>network connections>properties of your NIC>properties of TCP/IP>advanced>DNS tab> Append these suffixes.....>Add the suffix you want.

Network neighborhood(NN) use WINS (Windws Internet Naming Service) to gather computer names and such. Can you get wireshark onto the mahcine in question and start a capture, then click on network neighborhood so we can see what is going on.

If you added the machine to the workgroup by right clicking on my computer>properties>computer name tab>change, then you did it right. This page also lists what work group you are part of, make sure it matches the other computers or NN will never work.

Try connecting to the other computer by going start>run>\\IP_OF_YOUR_COMP This will directly connect to the PC using what is known as UNC (Universal Naming Convention).

Anthony

3. gus76

gus76 Thread Starter

Anthony,

Thanks for the reply. It will be several days before I can do what you suggested. We have a medical crisis in the family so my wife and I will be back east for a week or so.

Your help is much appreciated

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice