1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection speed problems- router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by x333, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x333

x333 Thread Starter

Hello,

My current setup is a Netgear WGR614v3 router connected to an apartment complex network, servicing my wired desktop and a wireless laptop. Both machines run Windows XP and both experience the same slow down whether the connection is wired or wireless, while through the router.

Up until about a week ago, my connection speed through the router was equivalent to a direct connection to the port in my room. Recently, however, my speed while connected through the router has dropped below half that of a direct connection.

Things I've tried:

1) check with other people in same complex to see if they experience the same issue. My roomate, who has his own port, uses the same router as I do and has no speed issues.

2) Check router configuration. MTU is the same as before, 1500. I even completely re-setup my entire router via a factory reset and this did not resolve the issue.

3) Check Ports on router, in case some ports are damaged. I switched my cable through all the ports without any results.

4) Check CAT cables. The same cable that I use for my desktop provides full connectivity when going to the wall and I also tried different cables with no results.

5) Checked windows settings. XP firewalls were both disabled and no settings were any different than they were previous to the problem. I also played around with the link speed settings, changing between 100/10 full/half duplex.

6) Ran DSLreports. Came back with no real problems(besides noting a slow reaction to the applet).

I am about at the end of my patience with this issue. I have searched and searched for solutions and suggestions with little success. So now, I hope one of you might see something that I am missing or something I did incorrectly to resolve this problem.

Thanks!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Since your accessing the same routers as your roommate move your wired PC to the port that his stuff is wired to and move his to yours if his starts doing the slowdown then you know its a bad port in the router or a bad router if yours continues to slow down I would check your PC.

Honestly from what you put here though my only thought is sometime last week you got some virus or something that has now caused your PC to run slower.

3. x333

x333 Thread Starter

Sorry, I mispoke. When I said my roomate had the same router, I meant he is using the same model router, but has a completely separate router connected to a completely separate, independent wall port in his room.

I also ran a few spyware/adware scanners and did not find anything. Though, a virus on computer wouldn't explain slow connection only through my router.

This situation is quite mysterious. I even hooked my computer to my roomate's router and it zipped at normal speed. I still suspect its something to do with my router and have pursued communication with the manufacturer. I hope that will result in something.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If its both PC's having the same issue I probably would suspect a router as well. Basically by taking it to a known good working one you have ruled out the PC (as long as they both have the same configuaration).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice