1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection speed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by larry_373, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larry_373

larry_373 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Computer with windows xp and a simple telephone hook-up, my connection speed is supposed to be around 56 Kbps but it varies from 28 Kbps to 128 Kbps. Are there any settings on my computer that I can change to get the optimum connection speed? If so where and how would I go about it? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Thanks, larry_373

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    FCC regulations is 56K max, but it depends on the modem and the ISP. Sometimes updating the modem drivers (or even 'flash' upgrade it) can help you speed up the connection. Anything higher than 56K will be capped at 56K. There are also some programs that could help you increase the speed.

3. larry_373

larry_373 Thread Starter

Thank you Tidus4Yuna for your reply, could you give me a list of some of the programs that might help? I am still pretty much of a novice when it comes to computers, I would not know how to go about updating the modem drivers.

Thanks again.

larry_373

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You can go to www.download.com and find lots of freeware. Under the Internet section, click on Tools and Utilities. Look for programs with Speed Download in the description. Since I'm on a MAC right now I can't view the PC downloads.

6. Dan O

Dan O

Hey Tidus4Yuna,

You're using a MAC, wow. Which one?

Are the graphics as good as they are in the store? They sure look great there.

I work on every version of Windows, Unix servers, and IBM mainframe but I have never used a MAC.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    DAN-O check your PM

larry do you need further assistance?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!