1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection speeds

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by teresa_banksuk, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teresa_banksuk

teresa_banksuk Thread Starter

I got a new computer up and running on Friday, and set up my internet connection straight away (of course!). I connected at 44kbps (normal speed) on Friday and Saturday but since Sunday morning I can only connect at 31 kbps. This is horrendously slow and I can't do anything! Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I've checked all my settings and they all seem correct. I'm with Freeserve but I've always connected at 44 kbps before this.

Thanx! :D

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi teresa

I'm with Tiscali and usually connect at 48k but sometimes it connects at a different speed - I find if I disconnect and dial up again it's usually back at 48k.

steam

3. teresa_banksuk

I've disconnected and reconnected loads since yesterday morning, it is always at 31.2 kbps. When I had windows 98 there was an option to pick which speed you wanted, but I can't find it in Windows XP, in case that's the problem.

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

If you haven't changed any settings then it is probably freeserve reducing the bandwidth.

As I say my connection shows me connected at 48k - but I've just run a test at this site and it shows I am actually connected at 33.7k

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

just done a re-test and now it's down to 27.9k

So your not on your own with a lousy connection

steam

5. teresa_banksuk

I've changed all my settings various times and changed them all back again and still only get 31.2 kbps. Previous to Sunday I got betwen 43 and 45, and it was always varied. I must have reconnected twenty times today and always getting 31.2. I have changed the phone number from Freeserve incase it was just a slow line, and that made no difference. I also ran the bandwith speed test and it said 11.5 kbps .

I've changed the settings which say which speed do you want to connect at and again get exactly 31.2kbs. I have a 56k modem and have had nothing less than 42 in the last three years.

Please help me before I lose all my clients and throw my new computer off the roof of my house!!!!

6. teresa_banksuk

I've just called Freeserve and they got me to dial up using several different lines, and they all came back as 31.2 kbps. Freeserve said it was therefore, something on my machine that was slowing me down. I've only had the pc since Friday, so I don't know about that. All suggestions on what it could be will be gratefully received!

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

My only other thoughts are a "bad telephone line" has the phone company been doing anything to the lines on or near to yours over the weekend ?

Or the fault could be in your modem

Have a look at this link - especially the headings :-

1. My Internet connection worked yesterday but not today!
    2. I have a 56K modem but it NEVER connects at better than 28.8, why is that?
    3. Other Helpful Hints

http://www.jrwhipple.com/sup_modem.html

steam

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice