Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connection thru ethernet is capped at 10mb/sec

Solved 
2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am a 64-bit Windows 10 Education user. I have the latest updates installed and the software is original. I want to use my laptop's Ethernet port to access to the internet. My Ethernet card is Realtek Gaming 2.5 GbE Family Controller and it has the latest driver installed.

I wanted to use a cat6 cable with this card and I have been using the very same cable on a different computer for the last 9 years with no problem and I always got 100 mb/sec. My regular internet is capped at 50 mb/sec btw, so a 100 mb/sec ethernet cap is okay. But when I plugged in the cable to this laptop, I got speed capped at 10 mb/sec.

Later, I plugged the cable out and plugged in again a few times, and at some point it starts working at 100 mb/sec, the desired speed, as soon as I plug in or enable the device again, but as I said, I have to try it for some unknown times. When I reboot the laptop without touching the cables, it again caps back at 10.

I tried a few solutions:

1. I changed the cable to a brand new cat7 one and tried again. It gave me the same result. At some point it works, but I have to disable and enable the card a few times as explained above. Then after I reboot, it goes back to 10. So, the problem is not with the cable(s).
  2. I removed the device thru device manager and installed again. Nothing changed.
  3. Thru properties I tried every single speed & double setting with it and the result did not change. I set it back to its default state, which is auto.
  4. I rebooted my router, nothing changed. With that same router I get 100 mb/sec on another pc thru lan on the same port.
  5. On a website there was a weird solution method, which was unplugging the laptop and using it without having it plugged in for 15 mins. I did, but nothing changed.
As you see I am pretty desperate about this situation. I would be really pleased if someone could help me find a solution. I cannot literally think of any other. I do not want to be forced to use a usb Ethernet card while I have a brand new Realtek lan card already.

Thanks in advance,

See less See more
#3 ·
first of, thank you for the reply.

i will try that, but i can only try it next week because i have to first purchase it online.
but i really do not know why it works perfectly after some plug/unplug attempts.

i will update the post about whether it works or not when i accomplish what you advised.

#6 ·
Thank you for the reply. I think this could be the reason.

The router is like 7-8 meters away but there is a small end-to-end rj45 extender piece because the cable is not long enough and I cannot change the cable for it goes thru quite a thick wall. The extender supports cat5 and it is right next to the wall where I cannot permenantly move my pc. After what you said, I moved my pc closer to the wall temporarily just to try direct cable conncetion and it actually worked. After I rebooted it also worked like a charm again.

The thing is, I cannot work near that wall because it is a pretty dead spot. So I have to use an extender there. Meanwhile, with the same setup (extender attached), I can get perfect connection on three other computers here in this room. Just out of curiosity: Why can't I then duplicate the same here on mine? And why does that give me 100 sometimes? Any other way than direct connection to fix it? Could this be an agreement issue or is it solely the extender? If i change that extender to cat7 supported one, would that work or is it irrelevant? I would be really pleased if you could show me a method to fix this issue on this computer. It is just this computer having this issue and it is very saddening.

Electronic component Cable Technology Electronic device Font

I agree with lunar. I think the port is bad since you can sometimes get faster connectivity. Check the port physically to see if you have any bent pins or debris in the port.
Thank you for the reply,

I did what you advised and the port seems okay. With that same port I can get constant and perfect connection on my other computer here, I really don't know why.

Maybe your laptop's Ethernet component is faulty. Try the USB Ethernet adapter. If that doesn't work, then there is problem with the router.
Meanwhile, I got a usb 3.1 ethernet connector and plugged it in. The usb port is on the same ethernet card, so it is also Realtek it says. When I turn the pc on, it says there is no connection and asks me to plug in the cable even tho the cable is plugged in. Just as the regular ethernet, it works perfectly only after a few attempts of unplugging and plugging. But I think we found the cause of the problem at least. It seems like the extender, just as cwwozniak indicated. Despite the extender, I just don't know why the connection is okay on other computers but this. Any possible solution guys? Your answers are much appreciated.

#7 ·
After reading your last post, I am trying to create a mental image of your setup. I am reading it as your room has a Cat5 cable coming out of a hole in the wall and it has a male plug on the end, rather than a wall plate and female jack. The other end of the cable comes out of a hole in a different room and plugs into a LAN port on the router. The end in your room is long enough to plug into a computer located near the wall, but you wish to have the laptop further from the wall. You are using a female-female coupler to attach a Cat7 patch cable that then plugs into your laptop.

If this is all correct, are the other three computers in the room connecting to the router in a different way? If they are only using your extended cable for testing the connection to the other computers, then I would suspect there may be a problem with your laptop's ethernet hardware.

If the other computers normally use WiFi for their connection, did you confirm that they were using the Ethernet connection rather than still using WiFi?

As for your USB-based Ethernet adapter, does it require the installation of any software drivers for the version of Windows on your laptop. Does it have any instructions on what you need to do to tell the computer to use the new adapter's Ethernet port and not the laptop's built-in port?

#8 ·
After reading your last post, I am trying to create a mental image of your setup. I am reading it as your room has a Cat5 cable coming out of a hole in the wall and it has a male plug on the end, rather than a wall plate and female jack. The other end of the cable comes out of a hole in a different room and plugs into a LAN port on the router. The end in your room is long enough to plug into a computer located near the wall, but you wish to have the laptop further from the wall. You are using a female-female coupler to attach a Cat7 patch cable that then plugs into your laptop.
thank you for your reply and impressive imagery. the situation is exactly like you pictured.

If this is all correct, are the other three computers in the room connecting to the router in a different way? If they are only using your extended cable for testing the connection to the other computers, then I would suspect there may be a problem with your laptop's ethernet hardware.

If the other computers normally use WiFi for their connection, did you confirm that they were using the Ethernet connection rather than still using WiFi?
the one i am using is a new laptop. It's just been a week. and no, none of the other computers use a different setup. i use the exact same cable to try to get a connection (I don't use those computers here, I just brought them here to try if the cable has a connection, and I used to have one laptop that used the exact same cable with no problem a week ago), and they work flawlessly, getting 100 mbps. They did not have wifi enabled and I was constantly checking network connections thru windows 10 to see the lan connection speed cap. I am pretty much convinced this could be a hardware issue reacting to the coupler on the way somehow.

As for your USB-based Ethernet adapter, does it require the installation of any software drivers for the version of Windows on your laptop. Does it have any instructions on what you need to do to tell the computer to use the new adapter's Ethernet port and not the laptop's built-in port?
yes it made me install a driver and I did but at the end of the day I gave up there.

So, let me just inform you guys with the latest news: I decided to have just one single cable coming from the router, and for that I did some drilling thru the wall and mounting crochet and straps. As an inexperienced person in this type of work it took me the entire afternoon. I got in the end a lot of debris and a flawlessly working connection. I figured out the problem and solved it in the end, so, thank you cwwozniak. The answers to the question why other computers were getting a faultless connection will always remain a mystery for me :)

To sum up: as one possible solution, use a direct connection between the laptop and the router if you guys experience an ethernet speed cap.

I am very much satisfied with the answers I got in here btw. So, this forum is the real deal it seems :)

If I somehow get more unexpected errors, I will resurrect this post. But for now, it is solved :)

Have a good one guys,

Peace,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.