1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection timed out

Discussion in 'Networking' started by abricru, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abricru

abricru Thread Starter

Hello,

I hope you can help, you are my last resort. I would also like to post a detailed account of my horrible experience with Jupiter Support to warn everyone, but I am not sure where the proper place would be.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 109882 MB, Free - 36993 MB; F: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 527088 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0GN723
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

The problem began a few weeks ago when I started experiencing frequent "connection timed out" messages when browsing the web. The problem occurs in Firefox as well as my other browsers. I first contacted my internet provider, Charter, and we went through a bunch of tests to make sure the router was working correctly. Everything seemed ok in that regard. The person on the phone could not determine what was causing the problem and wanted to send a technician to my house. I have 2 big dogs and about 12 cats in my house though, so I'm trying to avoid an in-home visit. Although the router tests and ipconfig tests did not diagnose the trouble, it did seem to help for awhile when I reset my modem. However, after a while the problem starts again. My theory is that some program I use to tweak or clean the computer may have altered some settings that have to do with the internet connection or that I may have messed something up in attempting to fix it. I know that I tried to change the IP number at one point and that may have something to do with it?

Anyway, nothing I tried helped, so I finally broke down and called Jupiter Support. (BIG MISTAKE) To make a very long story short, they were unable to fix the problem and are giving me a hard time about refunding my money. In my opinion, they are scammers and TSG should evaluate whether they want to be associated with them. I spoke with at least seven different people there who all claimed to have fixed my computer but all they did was install a bunch of software that gave them remote control of my computer. Mostly they fooled with Firefox settings and told me just to use Google Chrome, after installing it against my wishes. The same thing happens no matter what browser I use. The JS people did not listen and talked over me when I tried to explain things. They claimed I had five "issues" on my computer and charged me $150.00 for nothing.

Sorry to get off the subject but I'm very upset and angry about Jupiter Support. Charter, JS, and I have run numerous virus checking programs with no luck. I am no expert, but I really do believe the problem is caused by something that was inadvertently changed about the connection. I don't think any of my add-ons or other software are the cause because everything was working fine the way it was. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about tcp/ip etc. to know whether the settings you see when you go in the residential gateway are correct. So, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or help that you could give me. Thank you in advance.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Having Charter do an "in home" diagnosis is what you should've done when it was offered. That's part of what you pay for every month.

Paying for remote assistance from third-party companies is usually a big rip-off and fails to resolve issues, as you discovered.

You didn't say what you used to "tweak" and "clean" your computer, but that may be the root of your issue.

This forum doesn't provide remote assistance because of security issues and because it's very time-consuming, so don't ask for it.

Do you have a computer-knowledgeable family member or friend who can go there and assist you(after you lock up your dogs)?

--------------------------------------------------------

You appear to have a Dell Vostro desktop.

What model number is it?

What's the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker?

--------------------------------------------------------

3. abricru

abricru Thread Starter

I use CCleaner and Auslogics Boostspeed.

I do not have family and none of my friends knows much about computers.

Dell Vostro 400

Your Service Tag is:
    B50YGG1.

If you think I need the Charter technician to come then thanks for your help anyway.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Dell support and downloads site that's specific only to your Dell Vostro 400 desktop.

I suggest you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

Here is the on-line owner's manual for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully, the remote assistance that you paid for didn't cause more issues and hinder having a Charter technician assist you.

Good luck.

5. abricru

abricru Thread Starter

I have personal reasons why I can't have someone come out and fix it. I just thought it wouldn't be that hard for someone to tell me the correct values in the settings but I guess I will figure something else out.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's very difficult or impossible to deal with some computer issues without being there and having a "hands on" with the computer.

My expertise is pretty limited in dealing with network/connection issues, so I've requested one of the experts here to jump in to help you.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Brand and model of your modem (or modem/router combo)?

Brand and model of your router (if separate device)?

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Do you have another device that gets internet access through the same router? If so, does it get the same problem at the same time?

For when you have good internet access and for when you get "connection timed out" ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following commands:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice