1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection Timing Out - One Site Only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by java_momma, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. java_momma

java_momma Thread Starter

Hi! I'm having an issue that I'm not sure how to fix. The page in question is a work page (I can't link to it as you need to be logged in) and it works for everyone but me, and I can get it to work on my phone while on 4G but not wifi. It's the only page I have an issue with, in every browser. I get the following, for example:

The connection has timed out

The server at <site name removed> is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

My internet speed is fine. [​IMG]

Any ideas? I'm at a loss. This is a new position so I was hoping to try to fix this before having to go to them. Thanks so much.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using the same internet connection that you do?

3. java_momma

java_momma Thread Starter

No, I work from home, we all do so the internet access is different for everyone. It has to be something with my internet, but I'm not sure where to begin checking as it's just this one page that times out. I can get it on my phone using 4G, but it needs flash, and that's not on my phone. I've tried plugging directly into the modem and it still times out.

Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

tracert <URL that is timing out>

[Press ENTER after the command.]

If you want to show us the results: Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

IF you were tracing the route to Google, to show you an example since you haven't yet told us the problem site, you would type

tracert www.google.com

My guess is that it will time out somewhere along the route, and if you get somebody else to do the same thing their's will complete. IF this is what happens then the problem is a routing problem with your ISP. And the problem may only happen with one of their Gateways. To get them to understand that you'll have to tell them about your failed tracert, your colleague's successful one, and probably have to ask to escalate to "tier 2" or the tech's supervisor.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I agree with Terry, this is either DNS issue or a routing issue.

If you feel uncomfortable in notating the website here, you can do so with me via private message. The tracert command would be a great start.

6. LaptopNomad

LaptopNomad

Have you tried a different internet browser?

Like Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera ?

If that solves the problem, try resetting your browser to the default settings

7. bertie40

bertie40

Try adding Ad Blocker to the browser. I had something similar last year and the culprit was a redirect due to google analytics. Once that redirect was stopped, the original site worked fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice