1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection to Internet drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Guahan, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Hey guys, my connection to the internet drops couple times a day. It's annoying because I have to keep taking the plug, wait like 5 mins, and then put it back on. I have no idea what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I have a SBG900 router, and with San Bruno Cable Company.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What LEDs are on the SBG900 and what is the normal state of each? When your connection drops what LEDs change, and to what state?

Does "keep taking the plug, wait like 5 mins, and then put it back on" mean to power cycle the SBG900 for five minutes?

3. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

In normal state,
    Power is Green
    Receive is Green
    Send is Green
    Online is Green
    PC/Activity is No Color
    Wireless is Orange

When I lose Internet,
    Power is Green
    Receive is Green
    Send is No Color
    Online is No Color
    PC/Activity is No Color
    Wireless is No Color

I'm not sure if that's what it means to power cycle, but whatever it is, it works. But then internet drops again.

4. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Any suggestions??

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have a Motorola modem (modem only) and when the Receive stays good but I lose the Send it generally means I have some problem (corrosion I guess) with a coax connection. However, you are also losing wireless so I suspect a modem/router defect. Is it well ventilated? Does it get hotter and then fails; then works again when it cools off?

6. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Whether I'm on ethernet or wireless, I lose connection. The router is always warm-ish but even when it does go off when it is warm, it's still able to go back up when I reconnect the plug. Also, when I do lose connection, another way for me to get back on the internet is to do the diagnostic test and it the problem that they say it has fixed is that my Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid ip address.

7. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Also, sometimes, when the internet isn't working,

When I lose Internet,
    Power is Green
    Receive is Green
    Send is Blinking Green
    Online is Off
    PC/Activity is Off
    Wireless is Orange

8. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Any help?? Overall, there is 1 normal state and 2 lose internet states of the LEDs on my router..

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suppose it could also be some kind of electrical "brownout" caused by your electrical system. If it is plugged into a power strip or surge protector try connecting it directly to a wall outlet. If it is on a heavily loaded circuit try a circuit with a lighter load (even if you need to use a good extension cord for the test).

10. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

It was plugged into a surge protector that also had like 4 other plugs in them. I took it out and plugged it into the wall this time, and still my internet dropped. I called my ISP and said everything should be fine on my end. The SBG900 Wireless Surfboard Gateway is a few years old, bought it either 2007 or 2008. Not sure if it's wear and tear of all routers that do this, or just mine, so is there any other suggestions that I can try to fix this or is it a "wear and tear = faulty?" router in which I would have to get a new one?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The modem itself is really old manfacture date wise. The Wireless light does not show when online light is not on from what I have seen. Is the modem on a splitter?

Can your ISP confirm how many times the modem has gone offline in x amount of time?

12. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

When the power is on, wireless is either off or it's orange for when my internet doesn't work. It's not on a splitter. I am not sure about the second question, they said that on their side, my internet is fine and working.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    But they should still be able to see the modem's online rate / times online etc... I would be suprised if they don't.

However I would suspect the modem is failing. The latest version is the Motorola SBG6580 if you decide to have a internet plan faster than 25MB. Otherwise cost wise, the SBG901 is the next one up.

14. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

15. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    IMO those are the BEST routrs available today as it is THE NEWEST form (wireless AC) of internet connectivity. however most people at this time probably dont need to have such an expensive powerful router IMHO. consider the fact if you were to purchase an AC router you would have to buy all new AC adapters for any wireless machines. you can get an excellent Wireless N router for around 70-100 bucks. I prefer Netgear myself but Its personal preference. I have used the netgear N600 Dual Band Gigabit router WITH NO PROBLEMS and EXCELLENT wireless range but if you have a huge area to cover a N750 or even N900 (for large areas) will get the job done.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice