1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connection tray error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mtmamm, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtmamm

mtmamm Thread Starter

my desktop pc freezes while online and only a hard reboot will fix the problem----error says "connection tray" not responding....any ideas????

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Hi mtmamm Welcome!

can you give us a bit more information please about the problem

3. mtmamm

mtmamm Thread Starter

for no apparent reason, sometimes when nobody has been on the commuter, the icon for the internet connection gets an "X" and the computer freezes---can't move mouse, keyboard etc. and you have to turn off the computer...If I hit control,alt delete, I get a message that says "connections tray is not responding"....and I have to turn off the computer. thanks

4. ICTPaco73

ICTPaco73

(Sorry 4 my english)

From a few days I've got the same problem on a PC of one of my customers. The difference is that the red "X" appears on the LAN connection tray icon, but in this case there's a lan internet connection, so I think we got the same trouble.

Did anyone found a solution?

5. jwinathome

jwinathome

Are you using a network adapter that you installed or an integrated one that is attached to the motherboard? What kind is it?

Also, what version of XP are you running? If you are running SP1, consider upgrading to SP2 which will probably fix this issue.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you are planning to upgrade to Service Pack 2 I would suggest running a HijackThis and posting the log file so one of our gold shields can help clean your system so SP2 will install properly

To download HJTsetup.exe from SpyKiller To Download HijackThis go to the following at the File Repository
    Click on the button for Download to the right of HijackThis Self Installer:

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply. DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    A security expert with a gold shield to the right of their name should take a look at your log - please be patient.

7. ICTPaco73

ICTPaco73

A) Windows XP on the customer's PC is already Service Pack 2 and fully updated with all MS fixes and patches

B) The network adapter is integrated into the (HP) mainboard and it was configured about 12 months ago.

C) I know very well hijackthis, many thanks, but before to use it I whant to know if this is a common issue.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456752