1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection type = auto-negotiation

Discussion in 'Networking' started by childofthetao, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. childofthetao

childofthetao Thread Starter

Hi, in Device Manager in the Advanced tab of my VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter properties my Connection Type property is set to auto-negotiation.

I would like to change it from auto, but I don't know which value to choose. Auto works fine but I have reasons for wanting it off auto.

What is the correct value to choose or how can I find out?

Thank you
    Child of the Tao

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suggest 100 Mbps unless you are connected to something capable of only 10 Mbps.

Unless you have a reason to want half duplex I suggest full duplex.

For my curiosity, why would you want to set the speed and duplex if Auto is working fine and you don't know to what you want to set it?

3. childofthetao

childofthetao Thread Starter

Well it's because of a video performance tweak read. On a system with low memory (like this one) someone reported an increase in video playback performance when they changed that setting onto something other than auto.

Let's see.

and thanks.
    Child of the Tao

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for that information. Hope it works for you .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice