1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection works, but sites don't open!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Avalonte, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Avalonte

Avalonte Thread Starter

Please help!! I just had to reformat my hard disk. (Win98) Then, over the phone with my ISP, I set my account back up on my pc. Now I can connect to the Internet, but every page I type in just comes up as "Cannot find server".:confused: I've used the same information to set my account up on my other computer, and it works fine! So it's obviously not a problem with the ISP.
    Please, please help!

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

Your missing a lot of information for us to help you. For example, is your second computer with the refomated hard drive on a router? Or do you own two DSL and/or Cable modem boxes? Or are you just talking about a dialup connection?

3. Avalonte

Avalonte Thread Starter

Sorry. My 2nd computer (iMac) is not connected to my pc in any way.
    I usually use my pc. But it got a virus and I had to reformat the hard drive. And now, since the Internet isn't working properly on my pc, I have had to start using my iMac to come online. It's just a dial-up connection.
    Is that any clearer? I really hope you can help:)

4. Bruce319

Bruce319

Since I don't know much about iMac's and their components inside, my first guess would be that you'll need to reinstall the network driver on your 2nd computer. If I remember correctly, iMac's don't have no A-drives, therefore you're going to need to use the CD that it came with or download the driver from the web in another computer and burned it to a CD. If iMac's has a Control Panel, I would also check there to see if your network card is enabled and working properly.

5. Avalonte

Avalonte Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, Bruce, but you have misunderstood me. There is nothing wrong with my iMac;) My problem is my pc! That is my main computer. I rarely use my iMac. I'm only using it now because it's the only way I can access the Internet at the moment! The only reason I mentioned it is because I wanted to make it clear that there is nothing wrong with my Internet account:)
    Basically, please discard the fact I mentioned my iMac! My pc connects to the Internet, but I can't access any websites. Each page just says "Cannot find server".

6. passin_by

passin_by

Your domain name server settings could be incorrect.
    DOUBLE CLICK "My Computer".
    DOUBLE CLICK "Dial up Networking".
    RIGHT CLICK your "Internet Connection" Icon.
    LEFT CLICK "Properties".
    CLICK the ‘Server Types' tab.
    *In the "Advanced Options" area, make sure the only thing checked is "Enable Software Compression".
    *In the "Allowed Network Protocols" area, make sure the only thing checked is "TCP/IP"
    click ok and restart your computer..
    good luck

If that doesn't seem to be the problem you can also try
    removing the old "Dial- Up Adapter" and "TCP/IP" from the Network Control panel, then follow the instructions for setting up a new connection.

7. Avalonte

Avalonte Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help, passin_by! That didn't work:( But I have some more information that might help...
    On the "cannot find server" page, the blue strip at the top (where the page title usually goes) it says
    res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL\dnserror.htm
    I don't know if that helps;)

8. passin_by

passin_by

yes that does help.
    So lets try checking WINSOCK.DLL and WSOCK32.DLL files.
    Click START.
    - Select FIND.
    - Select FIND FILES OR FOLDERS.
    - Search your C:\ DRIVE for the files listed above.
    one at a time I might add, lol.
    rename them to winsock.OLD and wsock32.OLD,
    do this by right clicking on the file then rename..

Now Extract a new copy of the WINSOCK.DLL and WSOCK32.DLL file from your original Windows 95/98 CD.
    Please keep in mind it is important they are extracted to
    your windows\system folder

Now restart your computer, connect to the net .. hopefully that did the job.

9. Avalonte

Avalonte Thread Starter

You're an angel:) Thanks for sticking with me on this:)
    Right, I've renamed WINSOCK.DLL but it won't let me rename WSOCK32.DLL because it says the file is being used by Windows.

10. passin_by

passin_by

Im sorry Avalonte, my mistake on that one..

Using the SFC (System File Checker) tool

Click on Start go to Run & type in sfc, click OK

This will bring up the System File Checker. To extract one file at a time select
    "Extract one file from the installation disk"
    then click on Start.
    SFC will then prompt you to enter the location, enter location, click next, SFC will look to see if the file is already on the system. If it is it will prompt to save. (always use this function). SFC should advise that the process was successful.
    SFC will now return to the main screen, if any further extractions are to be processed say no to the prompt to reboot, if any, and repeat the process.

Once completed reboot the systems for the changes to take effect.

11. Avalonte

Avalonte Thread Starter

All done, but still no joy!!:( But the blue strip at the top now just says Cannot find server instead of showing errors, so we could just look at the glass as half full;) :p
    But seriously, there were 2 corrupted files, which the checker found and fixed. But I'm still in the same position with the Internet. Something which may or may not be helpful, is that the 2 little green monitors at the bottom right of the screen which light up when you're connecting to a site, don't flash like they're supposed to. When the site is being looked for, the left little monitor very briefly flashes, occasionally, but the right one doesn't light up at all. Don't know how significant that is, but just thought I'd mention it.:)

12. passin_by

passin_by

check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

Where to find them;

On your IE right click
    go to properties then
    to the "Advanced Tab"
    scroll down and see if
    the above items have
    a check mark beside them.
    If not check mark yourself
    and hit apply then ok.

If that doesn't take care of the
    problem try removing your
    network adapters and reinstalling
    them.

Also you can check your TCP/IP
    settings;

To do this double click "My Computer" icon
    double click Dial-Up network
    then right click on your connection icon
    go to properties, click "Server Types" tab
    then click (at the bottom) TCP/IP Settings tab.

Here there is 3 different settings.
    each one should have the first choice
    checked.
    1) Server assigned IP address
    2) Server assigned name server address
    3) Use IP header Compression

I also want to say Thank You for your patience with
    working through this.. :)
    *hopes someone is looking over our shoulders* lol

13. Avalonte

Avalonte Thread Starter

Sorry to be a pain, but how do I uninstall and reinstall the network adaptors? Thanks:)

14. passin_by

passin_by

lol.. you are not being a pain..
    that's why we are all here, to help
    one another :)

Go to start, setting, control panel and click on
    Network. its all right there..
    just remove the adapters and restart.
    then reinstall them.

15. Avalonte

Avalonte Thread Starter

Aarrgghh!! I've removed them, but now there's loads to choose from to reinstall! How do I know which one to reinstall??
    And thanks for saying I'm not a pain!!;) Even though you're probably sitting there sighing every time I ask something!! lol!:p

Also, there is another problem which I didn't mention before, but may or may not have anything to do with it!? When the computer starts up, and gets to the desktop, an error msg opens, saying something like, Microsoft chat, can't open document.
    Would it be best if I just reformat the disk again? Or perhaps a partial recovery?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice