Connectivity Issue - Network Cable Unplugged

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AudioKal

I just installed a wireless router for a home network in which my computer is linked directly to via network cable and the other computer in my home is using a wireless network card.

Now I'm having an issue with my computer -which is linked by a cable- to the wireless router. I continue to receive a message about my "Local Area Connection" informing me that "A Network Cable is disconnected". This message appears about every 15 seconds (down by my clock) and is nonstop during the period my computer is turned on. It has also become annoying since it is always showing up and disappearing (almost like a blinker that has been left on).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be?

Just so ya know, this NEVER happened when I was connected using a different router that did not have wireless capabilities.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JonathanAnon

Banned
If this didnt happen with the other router then's it's probably not an issue with your PC - though I wouldnt rule it out completely.

Try,

1. changing the port on the router. move your cable to an adjacent port.
2. plugging the computer into another router (or PC using a crossover cable), and see if the link stays up between the two.

It should be easy to find out whether it's an issue with the client or router. (y)

AudioKal

JonathanAnon

Thanks for your suggestions...I'll give them a try and let ya know how things turned out.

TerryNet

Terry
A 2.4Ghz cordless phone (or other 2.4Ghz interference) can cause your problem. If you have such a phone, try unplugging it and removing the battery. Another thing to try is to change your wireless signal to another channel.

AudioKal

Okay so.....I tried the following...

1. changing the port on the router. move your cable to an adjacent port.
2. plugging the computer into another router (or PC using a crossover cable), and see if the link stays up between the two.

Neither of those solved the issue although I do appreciate the advice.

As for the 2.4Ghz interference with my phone (yes I do have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone) I was wondering if it would make any difference since this computer is connected through a network cable and not via a wireless card.

In the meantime I will continue trying to see if I notice any difference though.

Thanks again.

TerryNet

Terry
"As for the 2.4Ghz interference with my phone (yes I do have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone) I was wondering if it would make any difference since this computer is connected through a network cable and not via a wireless card."

Yes, it could. I can say that with confidence because a month or so ago there was a thread (see posts #33, 35, 37 and 39 in http://forums.techguy.org/t371018.html) where the person had two computers connected via ethernet to a wireless router; she and her husband almost never used their wireless notebook. Eventually she traced her constant disconnects to the cordless--even though the wireless wasn't being used. She was OK after changing the channel used by her router.

AudioKal

It appears that I was able to solve my connection issue by replacing the cable which ran from my modem to the router with a new cable. Both cables appear to be patch cables...so maybe I just had a bummed cable. (Maybe it got squished during my recent move 3 weeks ago).

Just thought I'd let you know. Thanks again for ALL of your assistance.

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks for letting us know. Sometimes we get so caught up in the excitement of all the complex technical thingys that we forget about the "lowly" cables and such.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online