1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connectivity with Windows XP for updating

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ehbowen, Jul 14, 2018.

1. ehbowen

ehbowen Thread Starter

I've posted before about my two capture PCs running Windows XP which cannot be upgraded as they need to run legacy hardware and software to perform their function. I did decide to connect them, at least short-term, to see if there were any updates. One machine connected without any difficulty and is now about halfway through installing 153 updates. The other one...well, it appears that the refurbisher never installed drivers:

The computer is a Dell Dimension 8250. After some trial and error (more error than trial!) I believe that I finally located the proper chipset and ethernet controller drivers. The Intel PROSet II software shows the ethernet working and connected with a believable LAN IP address, and I can access a webserver on my LAN with IE. So far, so good. But I have not managed to connect to anything outside my LAN.

This machine normally will be not connected to the Internet at all. But I would like to be able to access Windows Update long enough to load as many updates as are available. I'm open to suggestions here; I believe it's a simple configuration setting problem. The other machines on my network, including the other XP computer, have had no trouble accessing the outside internet. Thanks for any help.

2. kenbok51

kenbok51

As long as your not going to be using the machine online I wouldn't worry too much about critical updates. SP2 or SP3 should be enough and you can always get things like dot net, directx 9 and Microsoft Visual C++ files with another PC and move them over for installation on the other. I actually have a flash drive with all that junk on it for when I do a fresh install or a non-destructive reinstall. I have noticed over the years that as XP SP's came out they not only fixed things but broke things as well. For that reason any XP machine I use offline I would probably keep as SP2 unless for some reason something required SP3.
    One thing that has been broken by SP updates is the ability for Windows to do a System Restore from inside Windows. SP0 no problem, SP1 sometimes worked, SP2 only worked if you used System Restore with in a few days of the point and SP3 almost never worked except from Safe Mode.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice