connectivity

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chester_desmond

moved or erased something important from my hd drive and now cannot get connection with internet applications. Not a connection problem, both my LAN and dial-up work fine. Even when connected to the net, however, Iexplorer, ICQ, and Kazaa can't find a connection.

What's the deal? How can I fix it, I already ran the WindowsME update disk to no avail.

I would really appreciate your help.

Also, if you've downloaded Netzip or Gozilla or any other "web enhancement" utilities, I'd uninstall them .

Max19

Account Disabled
How do you know it's not a connection problem? If you're not able to use the net in any way, then maybe it is a connection problem.

What do you mean when you say you ran the Windows ME update disk? Did you try to upgrade your operating system (from Windows 95/98/98SE) to solve an internet connection/functionality problem?

chester_desmond

dial up connects normally and exchanges data with my ISP, therefore, I inferred that it was probably not a connection problem. My apps cannot connect however. I did try to upgrade to ME to try to fix the problem because I thought I caused it by moving or deleting an important file. The only thing I can think of to try now is a total operating system reinstall.

I connected fine moments before I started moving and deleting files, so i figure it is my fault somehow 8)

I do not have gozilla or anything like that. I had ZoneAlarm but I already uninstalled it to see if that was the problem.

Thanks

Max19

Account Disabled
You're connection is obviously not functioning. Just because your modem dials, makes a connection noise, and a connection icon displays doesn't mean everything is fine. Everything is clearly not fine because you can't do anything after you're connected. Check ALL your internet connection settings to verify that they are as they should be according to your ISP's requirements.

Also, it is rarely, if ever, a good idea to upgrade your operating system to try to fix a problem you're having with the old one. By doing so, you added a whole new set of variables to the problem.

Make sure you are not connecting through a proxy (internet options>connections). Try reinstalling DUN (Add/remove programs) and creating a new connection. Use a different access number if available.

Strangely similar problem in this thread....

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/Forum2/HTML/051666.html

I guess if I don't move you to the Internet Forum, someone else will, so here goes...

Sounds like a networking problem to me.
If you have a proxy that would be the first place to look.
Call your ISP for tech support
Try reinstalling one of the programs... like ICQ... see if it will work then.
And I hope when you uninstalled zone alarm you did it with their uninstall before add/remove uninstall. I had to reinstall windows cause I unstalled ZA wrong a few months ago.

Del

When you say both your dial up and lan, do you have cable or dsl service and dial up connection? If so and both connect but don't browse, you need to see if it is your operating system or the browser or third party software.
Try going to Start > Programs > Accessories > msdosprompt
when the window opens, type 'ping yahoo.com' without the quotes. Then try 'ping 216.115.109.7'
There are many things that could cause the problem:
winsock2 in the registry corrupt
wsock32.dll
winsock.dll
or third party software.
These tests can help find the problem and fix it.
Del

Nad

I work in a small computer shop and we've had four computers in the last week with similar problems. You connect okay to the internet service provider, you can ping sites, such as yahoo.com and get a response, but you can't open web pages or access email. We've tried reinstalling IE, repairing IE, deleting it and reinstalling IE, reinstalling windows over the operating system, removing the hosts file, the history folder, cookies, and a lot more.
All these machines had Windows 98 and IE 5.0 or better. Two had up to date Norton Antivirus. The only way we were able to fix it was wipe and reload. We believe it's a worm, but we can't prove it. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Nad

Nad

Originally posted by Del
When you say both your dial up and lan, do you have cable or dsl service and dial up connection? If so and both connect but don't browse, you need to see if it is your operating system or the browser or third party software.
Try going to Start > Programs > Accessories > msdosprompt
when the window opens, type 'ping yahoo.com' without the quotes. Then try 'ping 216.115.109.7'
There are many things that could cause the problem:
winsock2 in the registry corrupt
wsock32.dll
winsock.dll
or third party software.
These tests can help find the problem and fix it.
Del
How would I fix the winsock2 in the registry?

Thanks

Nad

Del

Normally, when the winsock2 key is corrupt, you will be able to ping the ip address ok, but not the FQDN nor will you be able to surf.
If you can ping an IP address and FQDN from dos, the problem is probably that they had a firewall that they removed without ensuring the ports were open or third party software like newdot net or webhancer.
Wish I could tell you more, I'll send the info on winsock2 restoration, but really don't think it will help here.
Del

Please note if you are going to do this you must have installation cd or cab files.
-Go to add and remove program | windows setup tab| take the check mark out of COMMUNICATION | click apply | when asked to reboot say no. -Click start | run | type regedit follow the path HKEY LOCAL MACHINES | system | current control set | services | winsock2 -Right clickl select delete. -Go to add remove programs | windows setup | put check in COMMUNICATIONS | when asked to reboot say no. -Check network verify ther is no duplicate adapters and only what is required is there. -Reboot and try to browse.

To the guy who thinks it is a worm....

Sounds like TCP/IP was fine but once that had passed you'd get a DNS issue. In such cases, network, winsocks, registry keys, networking files, corrupt files, and dial up networking can cause this.

Universal FIX: Format and Reload.

Fix that may take a VERY long time: Call ISP and Yell.

chester_desmond

The solution to my problem, or the cause rather was a crappy little spy program called webHancer. Hid on Kazaa and installed itself onto my system. ZoneAlarm caught it trying to send my personal info back to the company so i removed it. The program is malicious...check out www.cexx.org/webhancer.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online