1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecton question.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Iceworx, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

Alright here is my situation.

I just got Ono, 4 MB cable modem connection. The cable modem is a Thomson TCM420.
    The problem is it does not have multiple ports, and my roomates ethernet cable is in my room waiting for a connection. I was wondering if any of you either

A. knew a supported router.
    B. knew if there was any way to give him access to the internet through my computer, please note I have the Ethernet cable connection from my PC to the modem, but i can also connect a USB connection from my computer to the modem.

I was thinking maybe there was some way of connecting my PC to the modem through the USB cable, and then connecting his Ethernet cable to my computer ?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.

2. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

bump !

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

If you get a multiport router(linksys,d-link,etc),then I think you can plug both ethernet cables into it and the other end of the individual cables would be plugged into the pc's ethernet port.The cable from the modem would be plugged into the router's internet port.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you can connect via USB and then connect the 2 computers together and enable ICS. The cable between the computers needs to be a cross-over cable unless at least one of the ports is auto-sensing. Be aware that ICS is problematic. And I think that when the shared connection is USB it is far more problematic. Unless you need a good way to thin your hair listen to pedroguy's advice! :)

5. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

Ok, I'm not very familiar with networking, I just know the basics. so..

1. How would I enable ICS after I connect everything accordingly.
    2 . How is it problematic, in which ways, does it consume system resources, or is it just unstable between the conection of the host computers.
    3. Cross-over cable ? My roomate has his ethernet cable directly connected to his computer, through the wall, into my room. Not sure if that would work ?
    4. Auto sensing ports ? Explain please ?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. See Windows Help.

2. Can be difficult to setup, trouble shoot and keep working. "Host" computer must be on for others to have internet.

3. Connecting like devices (e.g., computer to computer) requires a specially wired ethernet cable called a "cross-over." Unless one of the ports is auto-sensing.

4. Also indicated by MDI/MDIX. Capable of determining the type of cable and compensating so that you don't need cross-over.

7. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

What i did was connect his ethernet cable to my ethernet port, then i connected the usb cable from my computer to the modem, i right clicked on the connection in network places, and under advanced enabled share internet connection and it works just fine,
    the only problem is that we have a 4 MB connection, he gets the full 4, but I only get 1.2 MB, any reason for this ? Does the USB cable limit the transfer ?

8. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

Blood:I beleive I have read on this forum that usb connectivity is not the optimal connection for speed,but I will let the real experts pop in on that.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice