Conneting To A Network Printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chrismike

Hi, I have 2 PCs both running Vista connected wirelessly into a network through a router. The main PC has a printer connected via USB. It has Kaspserky Internet Security installed. Recently I bought a laptop, also with Vista installed, I have installed Kasperky on this machine aswell.

I am trying to setup file and printer sharing with the new machine, I have managed to file share with all machines but for some reason the I cannot access the printer with the laptop when it is attached to the main PC. If I connect the printer to the laptop, I can connect to it with the main PC.

I have tried to match the settings on both machines both for file and printer sharing and also Kasperky.

Any ideas anyone please?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This is a procedure that I've had success with installing Vista printers when the normal install didn't work.

1. Temporarily connect the printer to the Vista machine and install it as a local printer using the proper Vista drivers.
  2. Disconnect the printer and move it to the network machine it normally connects to and make sure that it's configured as a shared printer.
  3. Open the Printers and Faxes folder on the Vista machine, right click on the printer and select properties.
  4. Create a new Local Port for this printer with a name of the full network path name to the shared printer, i.e. \\computer_name\printer_name.

chrismike

hi, tried that, didnt work though, thanks for your help. Tried uninstalling firewall, no effect. Uninstall all printer drivers and software, no effect. Updated to Vista SP2, no change. Any other ideas anyone please?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What is the exact make/model of the printer? Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Vista? What are the exact symptoms of the failure?

the problem most be Kaspserky Internet Security installed on the main pc where the printer is share

chrismike

What is the exact make/model of the printer? Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Vista? What are the exact symptoms of the failure?
The printer is an Epson Stylus Photo RX585. 32 bit.

When I connect the printer to the laptop and share it I can add printer on the desktop PC and use the printer to print. When I connect the printer to the desktop PC and try to add printer on the laptop I get error message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied".

I have file and print sharing turned on and file sharing is not a problem, i cna see the printer in the share directory as well.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

chrismike

Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.
Ok, done that, no change again.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Did you run that on the machine with the printer physically connected?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Do you have an account on the desktop machine with the same name/password as is used to login to the laptop? If not, try that.

chrismike

Do you have an account on the desktop machine with the same name/password as is used to login to the laptop? If not, try that.
tried but didnt work. By the way, thanks for all your help so far John. Much appreciated.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Can you ping by name both ways between these computers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online