1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

consecutive numbering in Word 97 table column

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JulieAsking, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JulieAsking

JulieAsking Thread Starter

I have inherited a long document which consists of a table with multiple rows and two columns. The first column consists of numbers (1 - 207) which just serve to number the items in the second column. Problem is that a few of the items (whole rows) have been deleted which now means the numbers running down the first column are no longer consecutive. (Each item has its own row). I thought I could highlight the first column right throughout the document, press delete, then press the automatic number icon on the Formatting toolbar. When I did this only the column for the first page was highlighted.

Is there a way to highlight the first column right throughout the 10 pages of the document and perform the above actions to get it all consecutive again?

Thanks for any help - Julie

2. mrwendal

mrwendal

It sounds to me like it isn't one continuous table.

One way to check this is to click anywhere in the first cell in the relevant column, then select Table -> Select -> Column on the menu bar.

Scroll down the page and see if the whole column is highlighted. If not, then the table is probably split.

I tried to recreate this with two tables and got it to work by selecting the first column in the first table, then the first column in the second table by holding Ctrl. Clicking autonumber worked for me in this instance....

If the tables aren't split, all i can suggest is trying to highlight the relevant column first by clicking in the first cell and following the steps above (Table -> Select -> Column) and then hit autonumber.

3. JulieAsking

JulieAsking Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice mate. I checked the formatting and the tables are split several times by the use of Page Breaks. Consequently trying to highlight successive pages of the first column using Cntrl does not work. Do you know of any way to "connect" the tables? I tried deleting the page break between the first and second pages but the tables on those pages were still treated as separate tables by Word. I suppose I may be stuck with having to renumber manually. Ugh.

Julie

4. mrwendal

mrwendal

The only thing that i can suggest is the same as Word's own help advice, and that is to view the page in normal mode (View -> Normal)
    and then click on each page break and hit delete.

If, when you scroll down in this view, there are gaps where the table has been split, place the cursor here and delete or backspace as necessary to join the tables

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/155904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice