1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

conservative swap file ?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mtzlplex, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi everyone, had someone tell me it might be a good idea to do this. Go to start, run, type system.ini, go to 386enh, and type in a new line ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1. Was wondering if this was a good idea for my machine which is a Pentium2, 80mb sd ram, 1.2 gig hd, running 98se, and does not have that command line in 386enh right now. Thanks for any thoughts/ideas on this.

Regards
    Mike Peters

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mike
    One of the main reasons for ConservativeSwapfileUsage set to 1 is to force windows to use all the RAM your system has before it considers swapping out information to Virtual memory on your hard drive. Since you are running only 80MB usable RAM I believe this would be a futile setting since most is not all your RAM is probably being used. You could try the setting to see if there is any difference but I suspect you will find little there.

Let us know the results if you try the ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 setting.

Dave

3. mtzlplex

Hi davey7549, thanks for the reply, and interest in my question. Sorry for the delay in my reply, but I went ahead, and put the ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 command line in 386Enh, and wanted to try the machine for a while to try to get and idea of any change. Well, as far as I can tell, I see no decrease in speed, nor any bad simptoms such as error msgs ect, but then this machine is only used for web surfing. This could be a plecebo effect, or even the ISP, or the web itself, but it does seem that there is a little more smoothness to how the machine is loading web pages, and may be just a little increase in performance. But like we all know, that could come from several things not connected with what I did. Have decided to leave the command in, and keep an eye on it in case anything changes in the future. Thanks for your input, and time. Have a great day.

Regards
    Mike Peters

4. slipe

slipe

Win98 greatly improved the memory use over Win95, and the entry reverts one of the good improvements back to the old Win95 system. When Win98 or higher sees that you have used about half of your RAM it starts anticipating you will need the swap file. During idle time it writes data to the swap file in case you need the RAM. It isn’t like a real swap file write in that it doesn’t actually remove the data from RAM. Since it is only writing during idle time and does not remove the data from RAM it doesn’t slow the computer.

If you have a hard RAM call that exceeds your available RAM you get it immediately as the information has already been written to the swap file. Using the Win95 system you have to wait for the swap file write before the RAM is available.

People with a lot of RAM who NEVER use the swap file can eliminate the hard drive writes by making the .ini entry. It doesn’t speed the system up, but just avoids HD writes that aren’t doing any good.

People who actually use the swap file slow their computer with the entry. In your case there can be no advantage to the entry and you are probably slowing the computer.

5. mtzlplex

Hi slipe, thanks for the info on conservative swapfile usage command, I will definitly keep your reply in mind while evaluating how this command works with my setup. Thanks for your time.

Regards
    Mike Peters

6. Lightspeed

Lightspeed

Hello Slipe, thank you for the info and the great and easy way in which you presented it. I also use this command and find that my system is generally faster. My HD appears to be less solicitated.

Lightspeed.

http://lightspeedwin95.alturl.com

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Peters321:

Increase the amount of RAM to 256 MB. That's the best and most cost-effective performance boost that you can do for that computer. (y)

To my knowledge, the "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" tweak works best if 128 MB or more of RAM is present.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

8. mtzlplex

Hi flavallee, thanks for the reply. Oh yea, don`t you know I wish I could afford the extra ram, I know the amount I have is not what I really need. This comp is really put together with a bunch of spare parts from other comps I have, and this thing will only take sd ram 66mgh, kind of hard to find em used, and can`t afford new right now, but hopefully in the future. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Regards
    Mike Peters

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Are you sure that it will ONLY take 66mhz ram?

I'm running a PII and added 128MBs of 100mhz and left 64MBs of 66mhz in as well. I don't think that the board is capable of running at 100, but the 100 downgrades to 66 and is running fine!

10. mtzlplex

Hi WhitPhil, was unsure of that myself, I have read threads in this forum about using 100mgh instead of 66mgh, and the 100 just runs at 66, and then I have heard of 100s not running at all when mb calls for 66, and did not want to get stuck with ram I couldn`t use. My mb is an intel AL440LX, and the manual says 66mgh, and was just going by that. Being cautious, and not sure.

Regards
    Mike Peters

11. pgriffet

pgriffet

Hi peter, you have already got the correct infomation, I just want to add that you can easily see if your swapfile is really used with sysmon. You can test the following : Start -> Run -> Sysmon. Add "Swapfile in use" (or swapfile usage, I don't know because I have a French Win). Check "always on top" and push Esc to hide the title bar.
    If your swapfile usage is always zero or almost zero, then you never swap, Windows is just allocating sectors for the swapfile but doesn't write data to it. If you see an usage of 3 or 5 MB, then CSU=1 will be counter-productive as Win will need to adjust the size of your swapfile, which will penalize you.

I run Win98 with 192 MB Ram. With this tweak and the option "let Windows manage virtual memory", my swapfile is 0 (zero) byte ! However, I use my PC heavily and Sysmon (which always runs on my PC) tells me that I'm between 120 and 180 MB "Physical Memory in use". Sometimes, the swapfile grows from 0 to 10 Mb but always with usage = 0. My particular use makes this tweak useful. YMMV.
    And with a 0 byte swapfile, its "best" place for performance or its fragmentation are the least of my worries. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice