1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ConservativeSwapfile in XP pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pressing_on, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pressing_on

Pressing_on Thread Starter

Hi all,

This is my first post and I’ve learned a lot using the search function over the past few weeks. One of the things I've learned is the addition of "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" line in Systemini.

I have used this on my windows 98 system with great success. It didn't really speed up my system, but it did get rid of the annoying constant hard drive activity (swapfile preparation and such), which was always taking place when my hard drive was "inactive".

I just purchased a new computer (should arrive next week) and it will be the first time I've ever run Windows XP Pro. I'm wondering if the "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" is applicable for XP pro as it is for Win 98? Thanks for the help.

God Bless,
    David

2. Cookies

Cookies

3. $teve

$teve

conservative swapfile usage tweak is no use in XP.
    XP manages the swapfile(called a pagefile in XP)very well.
    no need for such medaeval alterations.

XP is THE best O/S yet.
    ;)

4. Pressing_on

Thanks Steve,

Is it still worth adjusting the pagefile size in XP? At least setting a minimum (Initial)? THanks again!

God Bless,
    David

5. Cookies

Cookies

I haven't touched mine with 512 mb RAM on one xp box, and 384 on another -- haven't had a need to.

I toyed with the settings with 2 sticks of 64 (128). Others?

6. pgriffet

pgriffet

Take a look here for the right values for pagefile.sys

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

CSU=1 is useless because the system.ini is no more a system file for XP/2K, just there for compatibility and is used by older applications.

7. Pressing_on

Thanks for the help everybody!

God Bless,
    David

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice