1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Consfusion With SSD On WIndows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by EpicMilk123, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EpicMilk123

EpicMilk123 Thread Starter

Hi, my friend recently installed my SSD for me as i'm not very knowledgeable in pc construction (Windows 8 was also installed alongside.) Once this was done, the windows 8 start menu was almost empty, which i believe is normal. When i try and search for a file that belong to the hard drive, there are no results, only those that belong to the SSD. Is there a way i can acces my hard drive files and add them to my windows 8 start menu, as I have files i'd like easy acces to, for example microsoft office.

A further question, is there a way i can add a shorcut on my windows 8 start menu from websites, like youtube for instance?

Thanks for any support! :D

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

You just right click on the file and click pin to start. If you mean the desktop, when you right click go down to send to and click desktop.

3. EpicMilk123

It works for some programs, but for others it says "corrupt", does this mean i'm going to have to wipe my hard drive (other posts similar to this have been told do)

Another issue that's occured: There is no sound coming from my headset, when i plug it in, it makes a noise as if it works, and i see the green line moving when i make a sound on my mixer (sound doesn't come from the monitor either, though it did originaly) It also says the headset isn't even plugged in when i do plug it in, no other posters have seemed to have the same problem and i'm not very advanced when it comes to computers. <This is my new main issue, any support regarding it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

4. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

What is the make and model number of your computer? Was Windows 8 installed from a recovery disk, a purchased system disk, a borrowed disk etc? It sounds like Windows 8 didn't install right.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What does "installed alongside" mean?

There is no start menu in Windows 8. Do you mean the Start screen?

6. EpicMilk123

Yes sorry i meant the start screen (with the tiles) and the SSD was installed first, then windows 8 (which was borrowed from a friend.) I have tried setting shortcuts to the start menu and it rather said "corrupt" or "missing file" and when i try to play a game on steam i have to install the anti-cheat and other addons though i have them on my hard drive, it automaticaly detected the game files, but not the anti cheat and it's filling up my last 20 gigs of SSD space with anti cheats and other things.

7. closetvibes

closetvibes

if im reading right you want to transfer programs across from a mechanical hard drive to a solid state drive ( ssd ) that has windows installed on it - simple answer is you cant do that these programs need to be installed on your current operating system for them to work - i have had luck with steam and transferring dirt 3 from 1 drive to another without downloading/ installing dirt 3 on the target drive but programs like office need to be reinstalled on the ssd drive for them to work

8. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

You can't install Windows 8 from a CD you borrowed from a friend. That is illegal and the product key won't activate.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice