1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Considering building a new system...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fastfingeredfool, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fastfingeredfool

fastfingeredfool Thread Starter

I had a post in the "reviews" section, they suggested posting here for info on putting together a system on my own. For starters, I'm not incredibly computer-literate but I have installed a new motherboard, video card, dvd drive, etc. in my current computer. Is this process much more complicated?

Can any of you give any pointers on a reputable company to get the components, what all is needed, and a rundown on putting it all together?

The system will be used primarily for a drafting program (need alot of hard disk space and memory), internet access, and occasional gaming (would like a decent video card).

Now onto the catch... what would you recommend for a total cost of $600-$750? Are there any bundled systems worth getting from a reputable company? (Please don't mention Compaq! :) )

Thanks to all who reply!

2. carltasha

carltasha

This place gets good comments from the folks here and it works for me . , http://www.newegg.com/ for the lowest prices or just to see what they are http://www.pricewatch.com/ . the things you have done are just about the same as putting together a complete computer . good luck .

3. Rockn

Rockn

You need to do some research on the components you want to buy first off, and don't buy the latest and greatest right out of the gate because things like motherboards usually take a couple of BIOS revisions before I would consider buying them. GO to sites like tomshardware.com or motherboards.org to look at product reviews (magazine reviews are biased).

You'll need the following:
    Case for the style motherboard (ATX probably with a few case fans)
    Power supply (no less than 350 Watts)
    CPU
    Heat Sink (quality one)
    Thermal Grease
    Motherboard
    Memory (Fastest you can afford and that your MB will support)
    Graphics Card (AGP with the most memory you can afford. I would ask about something specifically for drafting)
    An OS like Win2K or XP Pro if you want to use large amounts of memory.
    Hard drive (largest you can afford with a fast ATA/100 or 133 interface and a large cache. Western Digital makes an 8MB cache drive)
    This is the basic setup, and if you want to do drafting you better look at spending some money so you can get what you NEED to do the job.

4. plschwartz

plschwartz

5. plschwartz

plschwartz

I love to spend other peoples money.
    But being careful and following Rockn suggestions here is a partial list
    all from www.newegg.com .
    10-bay Case Retail***
    Truly Screwless ATX MID Tower Case, Intel P4 / AMD, Front USB 2.0 w/ 1 Side Case Fan & 2 Removeable HD cages.
    Specifications:
    Driver Bays:External: 4 X 5.25" and 2 X 3.50". Hidden: 4 X 3..50" (2 screwless removeable HD Cages)
    Sytem Board: ATX (Up to 12" x 9.6")
    Expansion Slot: 7 Slots
    Standard Fans:1 X 8 cm Fan (Left Side)
    Optional Fans:1 X 8 cm Fan (Front) - 1 X 8 cm Fan (Rear) No Power Supply more info>
    N82E16811127015
    $26.00
    $26.00
    Arctic Silver's NEW Premium Silver Polysynthetic Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 3. 3-gram( 1 cc. ) tube. Artic Silver more info>
    N82E16835100003
    $6.00
    ANTEC 80x80x25 Blue UV Case Fan Light up you case with these bright UV, Great for Modified cases, with transparent sides, or just to add an eerie glow to your PC.
    Specifications:
    Size 80 x 80 x 25.4 mm
    Weight 71.5 gm
    Fan Speed 2,600 rpm (avg.)
    Volumetric Airflow 34 CFM
    Static Pressure 0.12 inch H2O
    Acoustic Noise 30 dBA (at average rpm) more info>
    N82E16835129011
    $6.00
    $12.00
    Hot Item! WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
    Specifications:
    Size: 80 Gigabytes
    Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
    Seek time: 8.9ms
    RPM:7200
    Cache 8MB
    OEM(Drive alone) 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty --* Works With PC & Mac *-- more info>
    N82E16822144122
    $109.00
    ALBATRON AMD KT400 Chipset ATX Motherboard Model KX400-8X***Support DDR400*** 6xUSB2.0 ports Retail
    Features Bios Mirror, Dual Bios Motherboard and Voice Genie
    Specifications:
    Supported CPU:AMD Athlon/AthlonXP/Duron Socket 462
    Chipset:KT400/8235
    FSB:200/266MHz
    RAM:3 DDR 400/333/266/200 Memory Sockets
    IDE:2 ATA133 Channels, up to 4 ATA 133 IDE Devices
    Slots:6xPCI 1x AGP and 1x CNR
    Ports:2xCOM,1xLPT, 6xUSB 2.0, 2xPS2, more info>
    N82E16813170003
    $77.00
    Enlight ATX 420W P4 Power Supply EN-8420934 - RETAIL
    Specifications: ATX 420 Watt Dual Fan Pentium 4 Ready Power Supply, V.203 Compliant, Intel and AMD Recommended. more info>
    N82E16817103604
    $46.00
    Hot Item! AMD Athlon XP 2000+/266 FSB Processor CPU - 2000+/ 1.67GHz -Retail Box
    BOX2000DMT3C. 3 Years Warranty. The AMD Athlon XP processor with QuantiSpeed architecture powers the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extra-ordinary computing experience.world's highest overall performing PC processor.
    Specifications:
    CPU: 1.67 GHz
    Type: 2000 XP
    Cache: 256K
    BUS: 266MHz
    Socket A (PGA)
    Retail (Box with Heatsink and Fan) more info>
    N82E16819103327
    $90.00
    Hot Item! AMD Athlon XP 2000+/266 FSB Processor CPU - 2000+/ 1.67GHz -Retail Box
    BOX2000DMT3C. 3 Years Warranty. The AMD Athlon XP processor with QuantiSpeed architecture powers the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extra-ordinary computing experience.world's highest overall performing PC processor.
    Specifications:
    Socket A (PGA)
    N82E16819103327
    $90.00
    Specifications:
    Socket A (PGA)
    N82E16819103327
    $90.00
    Grand total inc shipping $394
    Still to add : video card, memory
    options floppy drive, cd something, speakers &sound card.

6. plschwartz

plschwartz

Took a quick look into the Autocad forum. There is a professional CAD cad the Nvidia quatro but big bucks. The poorer folk seem happy with the TI4200.
    There is a software hack mentioned on the board and used by some on the board softquadro4

http://discussion.autodesk.com/[email protected]@.f1360d1!page=1&keywords=video%20card&discussionRange=all&dateRange=threeMonths&[email protected]!page=1&keywords=video%20card&discussionRange=all&dateRange=threeMonths&productParent=.ee6b280(softquadro4(http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=8500
    http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=8500
    At newegg card ti4200 128 mB ddr 160-170. Someone else should supply brand.
    Samsung Original DDR333 PC-2700 512mb CAS2.5 - OEM Version $124Lite On 48x24x48 CDRW Model LTR-48246S Retail $54
    floppy $9
    Sorry audio your on your own
    Just $750
    For the sake of aesthetics you might want a better looking case look at chieftecs. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...g=7&manufactory=1502&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1
    or even better with a clear side window for a little modding

7. flyeater

flyeater

I haven't seen a bundle or motherboard bundle yet that caught my eye. They always seem to lack one or more critical features. What used parts would you have available for this new system? CD-Rom, Hard Drive, Ram? Can you "borrow" parts from one system for this new one? If you can spend the money on good quality core componets & upgrade some of the others over a period of time you may be happier.
    I loathe cheap cases. Granted you don't have to blow $300 bucks on a Lian Li but cheap is just plain cheap. First time you go to install an external drive into that p.o.s. you'll know what I mean.
    If your data will be critical consider a mobo with raid. You don't have to start with two HDs but it's nice to know it will be available. Course you could also add a raid controller at a later date as well.

8. fastfingeredfool

fastfingeredfool Thread Starter

The only things I may take off my current system is a DVD drive and possibly the video card. Already promised this one to my daughter so I gotta keep it functional.
    As far as the drafting programs, I intend to keep the TurboCad I already have. It's very basic, light on memory, and I don't really need the bells and whistles of the high priced programs. It is actually more powerful than the AutoCad version I use at work (the boss is cheap!). My only concern was having more than enough hard disk space to keep drawings.
    Does the newegg.com people (or others) take a look at what is ordered together to see if everything is compatible?
    Huge thanks to all who replied. Guess I have some homework to do... Unfortunately, my online time is limited so it may take awhile. I'll post back with my results and see what you guys think.

9. plschwartz

plschwartz

Well I guess you were the guy to ask about graphic video cards!
    If you want someone to put together the system and test it try here:
    http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/ProdM...E+w/+CPU</b>&back=ProdMBBUNDLES-ALBATRON.hmx?
    I dont think they use thermal paste but maybe could.
    I used the system outlined, earlier board version smaller processor. Works fine.
    Only tricky part is using the thermal paste, but instructions with arctic are super. Use a razor blade to spread it. (Thermal paste will help your system run cooler, maybe prolong life. Search this board for info)

Since you are keeping the DVD some nice, cheap 5.1 surround sound cards and speakers at newegg.

The chieftek case is soo slick when cover is closed might even add to room decor. Have you thought about modding;) :D

10. flyeater

flyeater

Looks like plschwartz has put together just about the right componets for you then. Lots of room for upgrades in the future. Maybe a Lite-On CD-RW $50 in the near future for dependable backups of those dxf & dwg files. Looks like you can get the right parts & what you need for around $500. Compatability shouldn't be to much of a problem. Maybe check your motherboard and video card for any conflicts.

11. torgo

torgo

look at www.resellerratings.com before you purchase components.

I recommend www.monarchcomputers.com for excellent mobo/cpu/memory combos and great customer service.

Newegg/googlegear should be fine for video card/cdrw purchase

I recommend the MSI TI4200 cards for Value/Price although the Abit cards are nice for overclocking.

If you can afford it I really like the new nforce 2 boards. an an78x will run you about 125 to 130. if you use one of these put 256mb ram in slot 1 & 3 so you get dual channel memory addressing and increased memory bandwidth. see some systems below i built.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice