1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Considering Graphics card upgrade - help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Apok, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Apok

Apok Thread Starter

Current rig specs:

• Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100218-0019)
    • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    • Memory: 3326MB RAM
    • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    • Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    • Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
    • DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Recently I have been enjoying playing Metro 2033, however I have not been able to smoothly run the game on its highest settings because performance drops dramatically, the game lags and all that annoying jazz. So I play on less demanding settings, according to 'Can You Run it?' my system meets all the necessary minimum system requirements, it even has all the recommended system requirements bar one, it doesn’t cut the mustard in the graphics cards department.

I've been considering the idea of upgrading my graphics card to deal with the new, more graphically demanding games of the future. I don’t have a limitless budget, I wanted to ask people who knew a great deal more than I do what particular graphic card upgrades I should consider. I’m not made of money so obviously hi-end hardware is out of the question but something better than I have now and with some longevity to it would be sweet. :D

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is your budget? Its best to know that before suggesting cards that you may not be able to afford. Also what is the make and model of your power supply?

3. Apok

Apok Thread Starter

Ideally I would not want to spend much more than £100.

Power Supply:500W PSU
    Zoo storm model : ZOO-6500HGP
    AC Input : 230v, 50Hz, 6A

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No details on that power supply, and thats generally not a good sign. Being a 500 watt it should be able to handle most cards though.

So here are the requirements for the game: http://support.thq.com/thq/consumer...3=&TotalResults=171&submitbutton=Go&match=and

They are some of the highest requirements out there.

Here's a GTX 260 that is their recommended card: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-016-ZT
    It's a little over your budget but I think you're going to have to adjust your budget.

5. Apok

Apok Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, assuming I cant find a GTX 260 going for any cheaper I would have to consider buying it. But I'm interested to know how long the GTX 260 would be able to comfortably run new more demanding games before it requires replacement. I may as well spend more to get more of an investment out of a new graphics card. Obviously I'm not expecting any purchase to be lifelong but perhaps you could give me a rough idea how long I can expect this card to handle its self well in the face of new more graphic intense games?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's no way I could do that, gaming is what drives performance in many areas in the computer industry. Graphic cards are released almost monthly it seems. Even now the card is behind a generation, its only a Directx 10 card and the latest cards are Directx 11, but a Directx 11 gaming card from NVidia is way out of your budget, and so are the equivalent ATI DX11 cards that compare to the GTX 260. There should be a Directx 11 GTX 460 coming out this month, but its going to be almost $200 Canadian from initial reports, you may want to wait for that if you want some kind of future proofing. At least if you have a DX11 card you'll have the latest version of that for a while.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/932779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice