1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Considering Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flavallee, Nov 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    I have a 5-year old HP Pavilion 8160 with the following specs:

Intel Pentium 233 MHz w/MMX processor
    (overclocked to 266 MHz by raising the bus speed from 66 MHz to 75 MHz)

Intel Triton 430TX chipset
    (with the latest INF files installed)

ASUS TX97-XV motherboard

128 MB of EDO RAM
    (this is the maximum amount that the motherboard supports)

Quantum Bigfoot CY6480A 6.4 GB 3,600 rpm hard drive

ATI Expert 128 16 MB PCI video card
    (replaces the ATI Rage II+ 2 MB on-board video chip)

Soundblaster Live Xgamer sound card
    (replaces the Analog Devices AD1816 sound card that died)

HP Pavilion M70 17" monitor

I have been considering upgrading the video card to an ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB PCI model. Would it be feasible to do this?

2. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest

Hey frank. I don't think it really matters what company you buy it from. I bought mine from newegg.com for like $55, a 64 MB XFX Geforce 2 MX400. There is one thing you might want to consider -- I noticed that on the box of my video card, there are system requirements for the video card, something like 300MHZ, 64MB of RAM, etc. So you might want to find out what the system requirements for the card are before you buy it, your computer might be too slow.

Also, I think you should stick with your 16MB because that's pretty good. If you want to get a 64+ video card, put it in a much faster computer, so that it will be a good combination. It's just like if you wanted to put a 40Gig HD into your computer, your computer might not handle it. Otherwise, do whatever.

3. buckaroo

buckaroo

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks, guys. I had also been wondering if the wimpy power supply in this computer could handle the load of the newer 64 MB video card. I guess I'll just leave things as they are. The current 16 MB video card works fine anyway.:)

5. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest

EXActly! Don't waste your money on something that don't need and that will be no good. And 16 MB is very good.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/103334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice