1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Consistant dings and dongs... can't figure out what's causing them

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by msonberg, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

A friend of mine's pc is constantly dinging and donging... I thought it was the microsoft antispyware program was the culprit, but I've uninstalled and reinstalled it and it happened in both situations. Is there any way to figure out what app is causing the sounds? I checked the event log for some kind of errors or something, but I didn't see anything...

a little more info... the sounds are those that you would here when you plug in a device such as a usb or firewire device and the system "found new hardware".

Any help would be greatly appreciated of course.

Matt

2. Augie65

Augie65

Are you doing anything when the sound plays? You can go to:
    Start> Run> type: mmsys.cpl then OK.
    On the Sounds tab: you can see if the sound is playing when there is a programs event by selecting the different events and playing the sound and see if that is the one that is playing.

3. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

OK, using the sounds tab you recommended, I found that the sound is the same as the "device connect" and the "device disconnected". Is there anyway for me to see where this is coming from?

4. Augie65

Augie65

Start> Run> type: eventvwr.msc then OK.
    Select the System and see what event occurs at the time the sound plays. You can also check the other Event viewers and see if anything occurs at the same time.

5. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

Alright, I actually got lucky and got a bluescreen that lead me to believe that it was a device problem cause the error had to due with the file LHidusb.exe, so I checked all the usb drivers and found a keyboard driver conflict. I uninstalled all the existing drivers and reinstalled only the ones that were needed. Problem solved.

Thanks for the help folks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/429656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice