1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Consistency ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pc_loser, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pc_loser

pc_loser Thread Starter

Every time I boot up, just after the Windows logo, a message appears (blue screen, white text):

"One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency..."

I started to let it continue to check, but it was taking forever. I ran scan disk and that doesn't take long at all, with no disk errors reported. But maybe Windows is doing a different kind of test ??

Because the "check for consistency" takes so long, I choose the option of cancelling the check by hitting a key "within 10 secs."

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks in advance.

2. monted

monted

Let it run. Particularly if your going to be doing something else for a while. If Windows wants to scan , let it have it's way,it could be detecting some kind of problem. But don't worry, it's just a "safety net". So, let it run.

3. Huon

Huon

I suspect that the message will continue to appear untill the task completes. If you can afford the time, turn it on and let it run.

4. pc_loser

pc_loser Thread Starter

Ok, so I let it run this morning, and it took about half an hour. It first verified files and folders, and displayed the message:

"Lost chain cross linked at cluster 14441. Orphan truncated."
    (whatever than means)

then: "Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)?", and it already had "yes" selected and continued the scan. . .

then: "992 KB in 1 recovered file"

then: "Windows verifying free space"

and then Windows booted up the rest of the way with no other messages.

So is there something I have to do or not???

Thanks in advance

5. monted

monted

it fixed itself.

6. pc_loser

pc_loser Thread Starter

Yes, it certainly did. I rebooted and everything was fine.
    Thanks for the help. :)

7. Del

Del

Not letting Windows do what it wants is like fighting city hall, might as let er rip and get it over with..
    Glad your problem is fixed.

8. monted

monted

Any time a program or Windows crashes, any files that were open are not closed properly. Part of closing is writing all the file location information in all the right places. Without this info, Windows can't find all the parts of the file. When SCANDISK or CHKDISK is run, all the parts are identified as "lost file fragments" and converted (if you want) into CHK files.You could find these files if they were of great importance(I forgot the location). The thing is , most likely they are in a bunch of computer language you can't understand,except maybe text files, like maybe an important document or term paper. I would NOT worry at all, unless you've lost something Very,Very important.

Cross-linked files are FAT entries that point to the same cluster. Cross-linked files are generally created when the computer is improperly shut down or an application abnormally aborts.

This was just in case you were wondering what you saw, no action necessary.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice