1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Consitent Internet Connectivity Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blackstone1, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackstone1

blackstone1 Thread Starter

Hello I am new to this forum.

I am running Windows Vista on laptop via a wireless Belkin router. The router is attatched directly to a main PC. I browse with Firefox.

Internet is usually fine when working, however I am having a consistent problem where my internet just 'breaks down' is probably the best way to describe it.

If loading alot of content at the same time, for example opening a photo album in Facebook, the internet hangs, and the words 'looking up...' appear in the status bar. After a short period of time the 'looking up...' changes to 'connecting...' and that's as far as i can get. Trying to load a webpage just brings up a white screen.

When this situation is in place, I cannot access the internet via the main computer, laptop, or PDA. However Xbox Live still works.

I've tried right-clicking and going to repair, but this does not resolve the issue. The only way to rectify the problem and re-gain internet access is by switching the router off by the mains and allowing it to reset. Therefore i presume this is a router issue, or a setting that may need adjusting

I have limited tech knowledge and am unable to find a solution to this problem.

Many thanks,

Josh

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When the Xbox Live is the only thing (apparently) getting internet access is it possible that it is using all the bandwidth and the others are still connected but just waiting a long time for their turn?

3. blackstone1

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I don't think it is a bandwidth issue because the problem still occurs even when the Xbox is not in use.

Josh

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does seem to be a router issue, but I can't explain why the one device would have no trouble while the others do.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

Do you have a separate router, or is it a modem/router combination unit? If the former try with a direct connection to the modem.

5. blackstone1

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I have updated the firmware of the router, reset it, but the problem still exists.

It is a modem/router combination unit.

I really am starting to get frustrated as I have no clue as to how to solve the problem.

However I have found a core cause if the problem, as mentioned in my first post, opening/browsing a photo album on facebook kills my internet connection. Is this because the browser is loading too much information at once?

Would a new router be a start?

Thanks,

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it would be nice to try that machine on a different router, just to make sure it will work in that environment. If it does, then maybe the new router would be the ticket.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice