1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Consolidate emails with multiple computers in home network?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nipperjr, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nipperjr

nipperjr Thread Starter

I have one outlook express mailbox, but access through three different computers in home network? Once I open email from one computer, those emails are only available through that computer. Is there a way to sync all so I have access to previously downloaded email from any computer in the network?

2. Anthony:-P

Anthony:-P

Hi,

welcome to TSG!

To do this, and for every computer to know when each email has been read, replied to, forwarded and so on, you'd be better of setting up an "IMAP" connection.

However, if you just want the emails to be available on every computer, this is quite possible with POP3.

Go to your accounts page (where the email account are set up) and double click on the email account in question, then click the "more settings tab" usually in the bottom right on the page with username / password and so on.

In here, if you go to "advanced" and tick the box that says "leave a copy of the emails on the server" this will then allow the emails to be delivered to everyone computer that accesses it.

Regards,
    Anthony

3. nipperjr

nipperjr Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I am at change email page, have tried click different things, but "more settings" stays gray, can't click

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

I use Outlook (which uses .pst files). I just put the .pst file on a network share and point each computer on the network to that file. If you have Outlook you may want to give that a try. I've used IMAP before, but don't really like it.

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Problem with IMAP is running out of space on the server. Might not be an issue if email is via your own domain but can be with email from some ISP's. Network shares work as long as you're connected to the network (and the server/shared PC is up) but I've not found that to be a viable solution when one (or more) of the machines sharing the email is a laptop. When off-network I could no longer access my email (no .pst file available).

My solution was a free email server I downloaded (can't find the site any more but 'free email server' in google turns up several). I run in on my 'server' PC, it downloads the email from my POP3 account, then I access its mailboxes from my other PC's either via the network or remote login. Harder to set up but works much better-and it can consolidate email from several accounts.

6. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

As you may already know, if you're using offline files, you cannot synchronize .pst files. Changing the extension to .ost fixes that problem. Then you will have access to your email wherever you go.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice