Solved Constant BSoDs (Windows 10)

Kalmana

So, normally I would go to my friend and have him take a look at the computer, but since he's in a covid hotspot can't really drive over and have him look at it.

But, my computer is not even a year old. Had another buddy of mine help with the parts and for the most part. Works fine. The issue, is that i will usually end up with a lot of different BSoDs and just general crashes. So i'm hoping someone here can assist. I'm not too computer savvy myself, so if you need me to get something let me know where to find it and I'll grab it.

But basically, i'm getting mostly System_Service Exceptions and Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_Equal and according to the bluescreen viewer app i downloaded it seem s that ntoskrnl.exe is common with all of the BSoDS. I have already ran a few checks on the RAM, nothing came up. Did checkdisk, nothing came up. Made sure that all of my drivers are updated. But yeah. . . I could really use some help here.

For the parts -

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200412194651.000000-240
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Hard Drives: C: 476 GB (395 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free); F: 931 GB (733 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 191161185300977
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Sophos Home, Disabled

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If the system information is correct then you are using Sophos as an AV, albeit the report shows that it is disabled.
IF you are using Sophos rather than the included Windows defender then that MAYBE the problem
OR if it really is disabled and you do NOT have an AV then we need to look at that situation
Presuming you are using Sophos and presuming that it is NOT disabled then I suggest you start by uninstalling it and ensuring that your AV is Defender and the Firewall is Windows
You may just find it solves your problems, and if it does not then when you reply I will guide you through a sequence of tests to try and establish the cause.

One of these will be an analysis of the dump file from the BSOD

Uninstall Sophos from settings as here.

Uninstall from the Settings page
Select the Start Windows logo Start button button, then select Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Apps > Apps & features. Or just click the shortcut link at the bottom of this article.
Select the app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall.

Then shutdown the computer completely as here

Step 1: Open Start menu, select Power button.

Step 2: Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.

Reboot and check that Windows defender - Windows Security as it called in settings is now turned on and all ticks are green
as here
Screenshot
Untitled.png
IF Sophos has NOT uninstalled see this please
https://support.home.sophos.com/hc/...79923-Unable-to-uninstall-Sophos-Home-Windows

run the troubleshooter as shown on the link
DO NOT please run the sophos tool until I advise you further, unless you know you are competent to do so of course.
IF I AM WRONG and you still have crashes after uninstalling SOPHOS, then please stay with Defender whilst we test the system and then if we find the cause was not Sophos you can reinstall it, if you wish, although I think I can assure you that computer will run smoother and possibly noticeably a little quicker with Defender.
That is NOT to single out Sophos, but most 3rd party AV programs seem to produce problems on Windows 10, often after version updates.

Kalmana

Yeah i'm not sure why Sophos is listed as being disabled, when the the webapp itself is saying that my computer is fully protected.

It was giving me some trouble with uninstalling it, but the windows tool from the first option in your provided link is doing the trick. I'll let you know what happens. It may be a day or so, because even with the BSoDs, It can go a few days before starting to act up again and it seems like today it's a good day.

Kalmana

Got another blue screen with the usual culprit, Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area, with ntoskrnl.exe being the cause. According to my bluescreen viewer. With the current trend with my computer, more will probably follow.

I was correct. Next one was Critical_Process_Died. Same exe being listed

Another one, ntoskrnl.exe and Wdf01000.sys are showing to be the cause

Last edited:

Kalmana

Have you ran System File Checker? Could very well be a corrupt system file.
I've run them in the past and they never found anything. But just out of curiosity i ran it again, and sfc didn't detect any issues

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Send a copy of the dump file please
Open Computer go to C drive
Go to Windows
open that
scroll to Mini Dump
open that
on the latest dump file right click and hold mouse on send to
choose compressed file on desktop
ZIP it please not RAR
then attach it to your next reply by clicking on attach files button

Kalmana

When I tried to create the zip file from the minidump folder itself, I got an error saying that "File not found or no read permission." Which is strange because I am the admin on the computer. But making a copy of the file and moving it to the desktop allowed me to compress it.

But, here you go

Attachments

Kalmana

Yes, I have a controller plugged in occasionally to play some games on it, but even without it plugged in i still get the crashes. Would you like me to keep the controller unplugged for a while after updating the chipset so you can see if anything changes if i do get another BSoD?

And yes, i have deleted the controller driver when i notice the driver popup in the blue screen viewers and redownload the file

Kalmana

Just got home from work. Xbox controller is unplugged. Chipset has been updated and computer has been rebooted. I'll let you know what happens from here.

Kalmana

Let me know if you want a more recent dump. With this post marks Bsod # 6

Make that 7. I'm honestly fully thinking about taking a hammer to this thing and buy a new computer from scratch

Kalmana

One thing I remembered. When I got my new computer for my hard drive, it was moved from my old computer to the new, and my old computer was about 6 years old by the time it was replaced. It's the F drive.

I did just purchase a new 1 terra SSD to replace it with. As in, I bought it today. But I figured I'd hold off until I get the go ahead since you guys are looking into my issue, and don't want to throw everything off with a hardware change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online