1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant Disconnection problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sebas_27, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sebas_27

sebas_27 Thread Starter

I have Cable Internet, the modem is Joohong Superlink 2800, the router is Linksys BEFW11S4 ver. 3.2
    I have a laptop which connects wirelessly, and a PC which plugs right in the router both running XP. now the problem is over the last 3 days the connection seems to drop and reconect whitin 30 seconds, i first noticed when MSN mesenger would disconnect 50 times an hour, it also screws up my ability to download. I have called my service provider many times to reset the modem from theyr end, I have done the same to my router, updated the firmware to no avail.
    Does anybody have a solution for me, I desperatly need to download my university courses.
    Thanks
    Sebastien

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

First...is this happening on all the computers? Wireless as well?

Second...I would start ruling out hardware by removing some of it. The first thing I would get rid of is the router. Remove the router and plug each computer directly into the modem. See if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't you can probably rule out the router. Then...if you can get your hands on one, try a different modem.

Also, if you applied any patches or made any changes within the last few days try doing a system restore to a time before the changes were made.

3. sebas_27

sebas_27 Thread Starter

Yes it is appening on both computers, but not at the same time, sometimes The wired PC wont have a connection, sometimes the wireless laptop wont have a conection.
    when i pluged the modem directly to the PC it worked fine. I know your reading this and saying ROUTER, but i have faith in it since it worked fine for over a year. BUT if anybody has any ideas about what it could be, shoot.

4. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Get another router and give it a shot.

5. ecantona9

ecantona9

You may want to try cleaning your computer of spyware if you can. It worked for me.

6. MINz

MINz

7. sebas_27

sebas_27 Thread Starter

Ok, norrowed down the problem, working by process of elimination, I realised the the modem, router, and PC, are fine. My laptop which connects wirelessly however is the problem, not only is it disconecting all the time, for some reason it is disconecting my PC whenever both are on the network.
    now my laptop has a Dell 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI card, which has the latest drivers, no help.
    then I used 3 different adware programs to make sur i didnt have any on my comp, still no help,
    could it be a configuration error on my part? I am running low on ideas.
    Thanks for all the help
    Sebas

8. Suburban

Suburban

How about a shot in the dark :eek:

Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration tool or WZC.

It is supposed to provide the user with ease of conecting to a Wi-Fi network. On a frequent basis it looks for a better Wi-Fi connection and drops the one you have and then connects to the new one and reestanlishes a connection. But this can be a royal pain in the donut, so you might want to turn it off.

Here’s how.

Go to Control Panel then to Administrative Tools (you need to be logged in as Administrator) and click on Services. Scroll down the list and find Windows Zero Configuration. Right click and turn it off. It will turn on when you reboot however you can also permanently turn it off by right cliCking and choose Properties and then from Startup Type choose Disable. You will have to manually configure your Wi-Fi each time you access a new hotspot

Above totaly stolen from the following link. ;)
    http://www.g4techtv.ca/callforhelp/extremetips/0073A.shtml

9. sebas_27

sebas_27 Thread Starter

Ok so i tried the latest suggestion but, as soon as i logged in the network with my laptop, the MSN messenger program on the wired PC disconected.
    Could the two computers have an i.p. adresse conflict or something.
    Thanks again

10. sebb2004

sebb2004

Using the Network Setup Wizard did you chose these type of connection and have internet sharing turned off.
    This Computer Connects To The Internet Through Another Computer On My Network Or Through A Residential Gateway. If you use a router or residential gateway to manage shared Internet access, select this option and click Next to continue. If you use Internet Connection Sharing and you see this screen, stop and check your Internet connection. If ICS is properly set up, the wizard should display a different page of the wizard, as described at the end of this section

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice