1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

constant disconnects from internet.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by trikk, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trikk

trikk Thread Starter

I keep getting disconnect from the internet about every 10-15 minutes.

I had a tech from cableone come over yesterday he installed all new wiring and a new modem.

how can i tell if it's my computer that is the problem or if it's just a service i need to get rid of?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have only one computer that can be quite difficult. What LEDs are on the modem, and how do they differ during disconnects from a good connection?

3. trikk

trikk Thread Starter

we have two computers using the connection, but one is mostly just used for netflix and movies so it isnt on all the time.

It's a motorola sbg6580 sometimes the lights will all stay the same, and others the modem will lose connection all the lights will go off and have to reconnect.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the power LED is going off it sounds like there is an electrical or overheating problem.

5. trikk

trikk Thread Starter

hm.. i think it's just the receive, send and internet lights going off but i will keep a closer look to see.

i've also moved the modem to a different outlet before to wire into my computer with the same reseting issues, different room but same floor.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Based on my ten year experience with (two) Motorola Surfboard modems those LEDs can be real friends. If you lose the Receive it probably is an ISP issue; if the Receive is OK but you lose the Send it's probably one of your coax connections (or a cable). Losing Online/Internet while Receive and Send are still OK means ISP problem.

7. trikk

trikk Thread Starter

thanks, so it is more than likely the ISP nothing on my end?

guess i'll keep calling them till this gets fixed or i change ISP's

thanks.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You did notice that I used the word "probably" at least twice, right? :)

Between the service entrance and your modem you have only one splitter and it is a two-way and good quality, right?

Have you checked all your connections for possible corrosion, including the one just outside where your cable meets theirs? And checked the ground connection at that point?

9. trikk

trikk Thread Starter

ya i noticed that haha, but i've exhausted all other options..

ya there was a tech here yesterday that installed all new wiring plus a new modem, he didn't mention anything being damaged.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice