Constant "exception OE" error at start-up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angelic_joy

Nine times out of 10, when I fire up my computer I get the dreaded blue screen of death and the following error message:

"An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C0281B7F in VxD VMM (12) + 00002B7F. This was called from 0028:C0240C6D in VxD PERF (05) + 00000141."

OS - WinME Upgrade
Processor - Pentium-S 166 MHz
Base memory - 640k
Extended memory - 162816k
Award Modular BIOS v4. (ASUS P5A-B ACPI BIOS)

This is driving me crazy!! I end up having to reboot at least 10 times before the computer will finally fire up without the errors, or safe mode. Any ideas what could be causing this, or how to correct it??

Thanks,
Joy

I am not really sure. You have an upgrade an may have the wrong file version. perf.vxd is a part of vmm32.vxd.
TRy this and see if it helps. Extract a fesh copy of perf.vxd from your install Cd or the cabs if you have them on the hard drive. Extract it to
C:\windows\system\vmm32

The copy in vmm32 will be used instead of the copy in the vmm32.vxd

Here's an article on extracting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q129605

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online