1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant "exception OE" error at start-up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by angelic_joy, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelic_joy

angelic_joy Thread Starter

Nine times out of 10, when I fire up my computer I get the dreaded blue screen of death and the following error message:

"An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C0281B7F in VxD VMM (12) + 00002B7F. This was called from 0028:C0240C6D in VxD PERF (05) + 00000141."

OS - WinME Upgrade
    Processor - Pentium-S 166 MHz
    Base memory - 640k
    Extended memory - 162816k
    Award Modular BIOS v4. (ASUS P5A-B ACPI BIOS)

This is driving me crazy!! I end up having to reboot at least 10 times before the computer will finally fire up without the errors, or safe mode. Any ideas what could be causing this, or how to correct it??

Thanks,
    Joy

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I am not really sure. You have an upgrade an may have the wrong file version. perf.vxd is a part of vmm32.vxd.
    TRy this and see if it helps. Extract a fesh copy of perf.vxd from your install Cd or the cabs if you have them on the hard drive. Extract it to
    C:\windows\system\vmm32

The copy in vmm32 will be used instead of the copy in the vmm32.vxd

Here's an article on extracting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q129605

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!