1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant loop of restart when booting up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by givememyleg, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. givememyleg

givememyleg Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently ran into a problem with my main desktop computer. It is only about 6 months old, self built, and everything was working great. Last week I was playing poker, then it blue screened. I regretfully can not supply exactly what the error message was, simply because I did not copy it down. This had happened once before hand, about one week before this problem, but it booted back up fine and I thought all was good.

Well, ever since the last blue screen, I have not been able to boot back up. Every single time, with absolutely no exception, when loading windows (I run Windows XP Pro) the computer restarts. This happens when the logo is showing with the loading bar. It never makes it past this point. No error message or warning, just a constant loop of frustration. I have tried running last known good configuration, which also restarts, and booting up in safe mode; which also leads to a restart.

I'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue, and if that is the case I know there might not be much that can be recommended to help me without the error message. However, has anyone heard of this kind of a problem happening with any certain error or hardware defect? Is it possible that some kind of a sophisticated virus or worm can do this? (I do run updated Norton.)

I should also mention that I installed a completely different hard drive and tried to install XP onto it fresh, and the setup process froze multiple times. I also reset my BIOS, which did nothing.

Any advice, or recommendations is greatly appreciated for this frustrating problem. I'm just kind of looking for a direction to be pointed in to solve this. I don't have an extra piece of hardware for everything to try to swap method, nor do I really think I have the patience. :rolleyes: I've never heard of anything like this before... thanks in advance for any replies!

EDIT - Basic Computer Specs if it helps:

MB: MSI K9N Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz
    VID: BFG Tech GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    RAM: Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
    PS: ATX 500W

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Since you installed a new hard drive in this computer and had trouble installing windows on it I would suggest getting the hard drive diagnoistics from the hard drive manufacturers web site and follow the directions on running it and check out the hard drive.

Also some system specs on this computer would be nice include the version of windows also?

3. givememyleg

TY for the welcome!

In case you mis-understood, I meant that I tried using a different hard drive to install Windows, but it failed as well. The problem didn't just start with a new hard drive.

I was running Windows XP Pro with SP2, and I edited my post to include some of the hardware.

4. givememyleg

Update - I found out about the "Disable Automatic Restart" and disabled it. Now instead of just constantly rebooting I get this blue screen:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x89DB6E30, 0x0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Any ideas?

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well do the same thing for the hard drive in the computer since you can not boot into either normal windows or safe mode the first thing I would like to do is check the hard drive since it is common to both ways of booting into windows.

Also since you can not boot into windows either way I would suggest:

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

For some BIOS, the default setting is to enable RAID for all SATA drives. If you have only one hard drive and it is SATA, you want to disable RAID.

7. givememyleg

Ok, I solved it kinda. I found a really good article on the error I was having; http://www.techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00014.htm

It says:

"When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume". This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up.

So, what do you do about it, panic and try to mount your boot in your computer...... No that is probably not a good idea.

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
    You will get a dos prompt
    Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
    When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
    "Y" and enter at the prompt
    Then type "exit" and hit enter
    The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
    Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
    When done type "exit" and hit enter.
    This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows."

I put that there in case anyone else runs into a similar problem, it worked like a charm! It now booted up perfectly.

However, I am still concerned. I have no idea what caused the problem, and I can foresee something happening again in the future. Are there any programs or something I could download that check your computer for hardware errors or something of that nature? I would like to make sure everything is working fine.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Since UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME does point to a impossibility of a bad hard drive and you want a diagnostic I would point back to a previous post #2 and get the hard drive diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer.

9. givememyleg

K, thanks for the advice. I'll do that now.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice