1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant rebooting--help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BrittanyJ, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrittanyJ

BrittanyJ Thread Starter

I'm going to just jump in here with the problem. Apologies for the length but I want to get all the info out.

During this past week my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite L25 (running Windows XP Home Edition), had been going fairly slow and every program I opened would freeze and the always lovely to see "Not Responding" message would pop up. I would restart and run my virus scan but nothing helped and nothing was found. Sunday I attempted to upload pictures from my camera and that was disastrous. They wouldn't upload, the program would freeze, my computer wouldn't even recognize my camera. So finally I googled it and learned that I most likely need to free up some space on my computer. I deleted a lot of unnecessary things and removed some programs I didn't really need but that didn't help. I ran Disk Cleanup and freed up some more space and still nothing. Finally, still according to my google results, I defragged.

It was taking a while, so I left my computer and made lunch and I checked back on it around an hour later (because for some reason it slipped my mind that I needed to check it.) It had finished and was on the Windows splash page. I waited for a while and a blank screen came up, then writing flashed up saying "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." And then it gives the options to start Windows in Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, or Normally.

I've tried all options. For Last Known and Normally the splash page loads for a couple minutes, then it goes to a blank screen, then the screen flashes blue with white writing for less than half a second and it reboots. I can't make out at all what the writing on the blue screen says as it's up for so little time.

When I try the Safe Mode options is does:
    multi(0_disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys and then the various endings. Then the blue screen pops up for half a second and it reboots and that's how the process goes.

Basically it's infuriating! Any help at all would be extremely appreciated.

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

This problem can be cause by many different issues, but usually there is one fix that should work. If you still have your XP Home CD, put it in your PC and restart. Let it boot off the CD and hit Enter at the first screen. Agree to the Terms and then when it asks you, do a repair install. This will more than likely fix your problem. If not, there are other options as well for you to try, but try that one first, and post here if it doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

3. BrittanyJ

BrittanyJ Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The only CD I have is the Recovery and Applications/Drivers CD that came with my computer. I'm guessing that's not the same thing?

4. Specsnow

Specsnow

There should have been two CDs that came with your PC. That one, and an "Operating System Recovery" CD. If you can't find it, I suppose you can download it off the internet from torrent sites or where ever, but if you have a friend you can borrow it off of for a few hours, that would be better, and more legal.

5. BrittanyJ

BrittanyJ Thread Starter

There was only the one CD. I still have everything that came with my computer in the original box and I've just double and triple checked everything and no CD. I do have a little booklet about Windows XP but it just explains how to set up your computer. On a side note in the book, about transferring files from one computer to another it says "If you have the Windows XP CD you can blah, blah, blah." Which I guess means if you already have the CD and that it's not included.

I will absolutely check around and see if I can find a copy of Windows.

6. Specsnow

Specsnow

They must have forgotten to give you one! Haha. They are supposed to include it, but anyways. just check around and see if you can find one. If you still need help, just post here and I'll guide you through it.

7. BrittanyJ

BrittanyJ Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help, I'll find a copy and do what you said, then report back. I do have one other quick question. To run the risk of sounding woefully ignorant, if I find the CD and fix the problem will my files be effected? I'm sure you see this one a lot, but I don't quite have everything backed up. I suppose it won't really matter in the end though, because this has to be fixed.

Thank you!

8. Specsnow

Specsnow

Actually, with a Repair Install, your personal files and programs are not touched. The repair process only uninstalls and reinstalls Windows and other system files, that's it. So all your files and programs will still be there, and will all be just like you left it.

9. BrittanyJ

BrittanyJ Thread Starter

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I'm STILL looking for a Windows CD. My sister's HP laptop didn't come with one and neither did her desktop (though that has Vista which wouldn't help anyway!). My brother-in-law can possibly get me a copy of Windows Professional but so far that's the closest I've come.

10. Specsnow

Specsnow

I have found a link for a Windows XP Home SP3 CD. I cannot attest to it's legitimacy, but it appears to be legit. All you need is a blank CD and a burner.

http://depositfiles.com/en/files/5149085

11. BrittanyJ

BrittanyJ Thread Starter

I have tried all day to download the file and it just won't. It gets to almost 6MB and stops and hangs until finally a message pops up saying the download timed out. I've restarted the computer and my internet and nothing has helped. I think something is trying to keep me from fixing my laptop!

12. Specsnow

Specsnow

If you can, download the file on a different computer with a CD burner. It sounds like there are more problems than we thought, but they should still be fixed by a Repair Install. On a high-speed connection, it should only take about 3 hours or less to download that file, then about 10 minutes to burn it, tops.

13. BrittanyJ

BrittanyJ Thread Starter

I've been trying to download it on my desktop which is about six years old but so far (knock on wood, say a prayer, cross your fingers) still works decently. I've downloaded other things on this computer recently with no trouble so I just don't know what's up. I will, however, send this file to my sister and see if she can download and burn it for me. I may not have a chance to do it until Saturday but I'll keep you posted.

Again, thank you so much!

14. BrittanyJ

BrittanyJ Thread Starter

Hey, my sister tried downloading ALL day yesterday and she couldn't either. It said she couldn't download from the link. Is it possible there's something not right with the link? I don't even have any file sharing programs on this computer but I'm getting to the point where I may have to look into that option. I'm having a big Halloween party in two weeks and every single little thing I need for it is on my laptop.

15. Specsnow

Specsnow

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice