1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant restarting loop when loading windowsXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brougham, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brougham

brougham Thread Starter

I don't post on here much but you guys have saved me many times and I thank you for it :)

Hopefully you can do it one more time.

The computer was given to me and all they said was "It won't start." So i booted it up and it kept getting into post, then tryed to start windows then reboots. It goes in a constant loop. I thought "Ok, probably a boot sector virus." I've had this same problem before and all i had to do was fdisk /mbr then formatting and all was fine and dandy... well that didn't work. So I tryed doing the same thing with gdisk /mbr. That didn't work.

That I can do is format c: /s and have it boot to the prompt no problem, so i think there is no real damage tot he HD (but i could be wrong).

I don't have to worry about the data on the drive so any solution to get this thing to boot would be great.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?

3. brougham

brougham Thread Starter

It won't even get there, that's what I'm saying. It gets just past post and then restarts.

4. cybertech

Can access the bios? If so see if the ACPI is turned off.
    Try a different keyboard if you have one.
    Have you tried booting to the floppy drive?

5. brougham

brougham Thread Starter

I can access the bios, I can also flash it. I can also boot from CD and floppy. And I've even tried a different keyboard.

6. cybertech

So what is stopping you from reloading the machine? You stated you don't care about the data and the load may just be corrupt. If I'm missing something let me know.

7. brougham

brougham Thread Starter

That is exactly what I mean! =)

What IS stopping me.

I reformat, boot from the CD and get to the windows setup. It asks me where I want the windows load and I put it on the formatted HD. Once it loads all the stuff it asks you to restart or it will automatically start you in 15 secs.

The computer restarts, gets past the post...then restarts again...then again. I never even get the windows setup screen that asks for your region and network settings.

8. cybertech

OK, Now I'm on the same page with you :D

Give us some specs on the machine.

When you format the drive are you making one partition? Are you going NTFS or Fat32? How big is the drive? Did you check to make sure all of the partitions are gone? I think you go to option 4 in Fdisk to see the partitions, then 3 to delete.

9. brougham

brougham Thread Starter

It's an IBM 1.1 ghz 128megs of RAM, 40gig HD.

10. cybertech

I edited my post so check it out again.......

11. brougham

brougham Thread Starter

I have tried formatting the drive in both fat32 and NTFS. And yes I've gotten rid of all the partions. I've used both FDISK and GDISK.

I am usually making one partition, just less confusion that way.

12. cybertech

And this is a purchased original XP CD, not copied/burned, not a restore from a different mfg.?

13. brougham

brougham Thread Starter

Original CD, no service packs on the build. Computer is capable of running XP, as it was running it for 4 months prior to the crash.

14. cybertech

brougham,
    I gotta split for the day. But one more thing comes to mind.
    If you answer yes to my last question....
    Try a different video card if that's an option. I'm thinking perhaps a driver problem.

I'll check back tomorrow to see how things are going.

15. brougham

brougham Thread Starter

Ok, I've tried another totally different HD and it's doing the same thing...

I'm running out of things to try here. Someone please add a suggestion.

Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice