1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant slowdown/cpu spikes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ubik2000, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ubik2000

Ubik2000 Thread Starter

For the last week or so, I've been getting seemingly random moments of slow-down on my computer. Opening up task manager at this very moment, the CPU usage seems to spike to 100% every couple of seconds (from a baseline of 10-20%, with McAfee, Trillian and Bitcomet running). On the most basic level, this causes the mouse to stumble, rather than glide, across the screen, which is as hugely annoying as you might expect. Also, normal tasks can take forever...I have McAfee set to do a full scan when I'm at work, but lately it still isn't finished when I get home. Video playback stutters, etc.

I am running windows 2k pro on P4 1.6 with 896 of RAM. I've defragged both my master and slave drives. I've run Adaware and Spybot S&D. I'm fairly tempted to just reformat, and maybe get around to installing Win XP at last, but I'd rather avoid that if I can. Any ideas?

2. 4steve44

4steve44

You might install microsoft's antispybeta1 and run it just to see if the other two has missed something. I seems that your McAfee is not doing it' job for you. I will suggest that you ununstall it and install AVG. It is free and IMHO does a way better job than McAfee :D

3. Ubik2000

Ubik2000 Thread Starter

So you think the problem could be a virus that slipped in under McAfee's radar?

I wouldn't be sad to see McAfee go, to be honest, it's a pain restarting everytime it updates.

4. 4steve44

4steve44

AVG updates almost daily and never requires you to restart :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!